Probe ordered into killing of youth by Haryana policeJune 20th, 2008 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani (Haryana), June 20 (IANS) A probe was ordered into the alleged killing of a youth by policemen in Haryana’s Bhiwani district after protests by villagers, an official said Friday. Mahinder Kumar was shot dead by a police party at a barricade near Tosham town, 25 km from here, late Wednesday. Mahinder, a taxi driver, was the sole bread-earner of his family.
Sanjay Kumar, the Bhiwani district police chief, claimed Mahinder did not stop at the barricade when signalled to do so by the police party and fired on them.
However, villagers and family members of Kumar said he was innocent and had been hit on the back by the police. They blocked traffic on the main highway near Bhiwani Thursday to protest his killing, forcing the police to begin a probe.
Sanjay Kumar said an investigation into Mahinder’s killing was ordered Thursday night.
The killing of the youth is likely to further embarrass the state police after a woman from Rohtak and a youth near Karnal committed suicide in the last 10 days owing to police excesses.
Haryana’s Director General of Police Ranjiv Singh Dalal Thursday said three police officials, including a sub-inspector and an assistant sub-inspector, had been dismissed from service on corruption charges. Two of them were posted in Jind district while one was posted in Mewat district.
- Jats likely to intensify stir in Haryana - Mar 10, 2012
- Life affected as Jats continue blockades in Haryana (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Jat agitators block roads, tracks again in Haryana - Mar 09, 2012
- Mirchpur caste violence: Protests spread to more areas (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Uneasy calm in Haryana's Hisar district - Mar 08, 2012
- Tension in Haryana village over death of Dalit youth - Oct 07, 2010
- Protestor dies, Jats could intensify stir - Mar 24, 2011
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Haryana village heads want police officials sacked (Lead) - Jun 20, 2008
- Army called as Jat agitators torch police station (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Haryana releases Jat leaders, stir yet to end - Mar 11, 2012
- Mirchpur incident: Jats call off protest (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- 25 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Jul 30, 2012