Probe ordered into attack on Ahmedabad journalistsJuly 19th, 2008 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad/Surat, July 19 (IANS) The Gujarat government Saturday ordered a probe into Friday’s attack on scribes who were covering clashes following the mysterious death of two boys at religious leader Asaram Bapu’s ashram, as the state’s Home Minister Amit Shah said the culprits would be punished. “The attack on media persons is intolerable and we are trying to trace those behind it,” Shah said. “We have ordered an inquiry and if the attackers were from the Asaram Ashram, they will not be spared and all necessary legal steps will be taken. Such attacks can never be justified.”
While inaugurating a police housing society at Udhna near Surat, Shah said: “It is not correct to say that police were absent from the scene and did nothing to save the media representatives.”
He said police were investigating the death of two boys from the Asaram Gurukul whose bodies were found from the riverbed nearby on the outskirts of Ahmedabad early this month.
Ahmedabad City Police Commissioner O.P. Mathur said the people who attacked journalists during the Ahmedabad shutodwn would be be identified from various photographs published in the print media and coverage in the electronic media. The culprits would be punished, he added.
Journalists in Ahmedabad gave a memorandum to District Collector Hareet Shukla demanding strict action against the attackers.
Several organisations of journalists in different districts of the state also submitted memoranda to respective collectors.
Various religious leaders also came out in support of the journalists.
“If a gurukul cannot protect its children, then it should be closed. Asaram is giving a bad name to other saints. He should now immediately come forward to help police in the matter,” Bharat Sadhu Samaj vice president Ramvilasdasji said.
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- Asaram ashram encroachment demolished in Gujarat - Nov 27, 2010
- Notice to Asaram's Navsari ashram for encroachment - Dec 31, 2009
- Eunuchs burn effigy of Asaram Bapu - Jan 19, 2010
- Asaram Bapu ashram official injured in attack - Dec 13, 2010
- Court rap for Asaram Ashram - Aug 26, 2008
- Pay tax arrears, Ahmedabad civic body tells Asaram's ashram - Mar 10, 2010
- Twelve injured as Asaram Bapu's followers allegedly go on rampage in Gujarat - Nov 26, 2009
- Attempt to murder charges against spiritual guru Asaram Bapu - Dec 07, 2009
- Police arrest seven suspects for assault on Ahmedabad journalists - Jul 26, 2008
- Court orders police to file case against Asaram ashram (Lead) - Aug 26, 2008
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Apex court denies relief to Asaram Bapu in murder case - Jan 04, 2010
- God Man Asaram Bapu's hermitage demolished in Gujarat - Nov 27, 2010
- Dead Ahmedabad boy's father ends fast - Jul 22, 2008