Probe ordered in labourer’s torture, deathNovember 30th, 2011 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
Thane, Nov 30 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Wednesday ordered a probe into a labourer’s death allegedly due to torture by a brick kiln owner and his two sons in Thane district earlier this month. The three have been arrested.
The criminal investigation department probe was ordered after independent legislator from Vasai, Vivek Pandit, met Home Minister R.R. Patil and apprised him of the alleged torture and killing of Jhipru Mukane, 35, of Shere village in Shahpur tribal area, around 90 km from Mumbai.
Mukane, a Katkari tribal was subjected to cruelty, forced labour, torture and tied to chain, his wife Jaya, 30, alleged.
She alleged Mukane could not repay a loan of Rs.6,000 to brick kiln owner Balu Choudhary and his sons Ganesh and Bunty, who kept him as a bonded labourer at their home. All three have been arrested.
According to her, Mukane was beaten up by his employers and he succumbed to his injuries Nov 22.
“This is indeed a serious issue. We are living in the 21st century and such things are happening barely 100 km from the country’s commercial capital,” said Pandit.
He said Jaya had also complained to Thane Superintendent of Police R.K. Mor, alleging police complicity and apathy which led to her husband’s death.
- Tribal labourer allegedly tortured to death - Dec 14, 2011
- 40 bonded labourers rescued in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 26, 2011
- Punjab brick kiln owners demand review of Bonded Labor Act - Sep 22, 2010
- 70 bonded labourers freed in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 29, 2011
- Maharashtra village honours cop with 'Gen. Dyer Award'! (With Images) - Mar 07, 2010
- 25 Chhattisgarh child labourers rescued from brick kiln - Jan 31, 2011
- Chhattisgarh seeks Haryana's help for labourers' release - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight bonded labourers freed in Madhya Pradesh - May 12, 2010
- Chavan calls Vasai marchers for talks - Oct 02, 2010
- Chavan seeks 10 days to look into Vasai villagers' demand (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Brick kiln owners to go on strike from June 15 - Jun 10, 2010
- Shutdown in Vasai against arrest of lawmaker - Apr 11, 2010
- 19 workers rescued from kiln return to Orissa - Jun 29, 2010
- Pune blasts: Police still to identify perpetrators, detain four (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- NHRC secures the release of bonded labourers in Baghpat - Jun 02, 2009
Tags: 21st century, apathy, brick kiln, bunty, complicity, criminal investigation department, ganesh, home minister, labour, legislator, maharashtra government, mumbai, pandit, rs 6, shere village, superintendent, torture death, tribal area, wife jaya