Probe on, will take action against Shano Khan’s teacher: PoliceApril 18th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) A day after 11-year-old Shano Khan died after being subjected to corporal punishment by her teacher for not knowing the English alphabet, police Saturday said action would be taken after examining the medical and autopsy reports.
“The investigation into the case is on. We are looking into the postmortem and medical reports forwarded by the hospital. We will take necessary action after analysing them,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer Delhi) Atul Katiyar told IANS.
Shano slipped into a coma Wednesday after her class teacher Manju in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) primary school in Narela in north Delhi beat her and made her stand in the heat for more than an hour for failing to recite the alphabet.
The girl was shifted to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital Thursday evening after her condition deteriorated. She died Friday afternoon.
Following the incident, which sent shock waves across the nation, the teacher was charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The teacher Friday wrote a letter to the deputy education officer of Narela, professing her innocence.
While the MCD suspended the teacher and the school principal Thursday, Delhi Mayor Arti Mehra announced compensation of Rs.50,000 for Shano’s parents.
Shano was a resident of the Bawana resettlement colony in Narela area of northwest Delhi. She had six siblings - four sisters and two brothers.
Her death is not an isolated incident. In March 2008, a 15-year-old girl was hit by a male teacher for refusing to take private tuition from him. The girl died after remaining in coma for nearly two-and-a-half months.
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Tortured schoolgirl's body handed over to parents; no arrest yet (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Teacher charged with culpable homicide for schoolgirl's death - Apr 17, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Punished girl in coma, no charges against teacher - Apr 17, 2009
- Girl dies after punishment in school (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Police to quiz classmates of corporal punishment victim - Apr 20, 2009
- Civic agency awaiting schoolgirl's viscera report to finish probe - Apr 27, 2009
- Muslim organisation adopts family of dead schoolgirl - Apr 24, 2009
- Police may record statements of Shano's classmates - Apr 26, 2009
- Punished by teacher, 11-year-old girl goes into coma - Apr 16, 2009
- Five days on, little progress in probing schoolgirl's death - Apr 21, 2009
- Corporal punishment death: autopsy hints at epilepsy - Apr 24, 2009
- Corporal punishment: the victims before Shano Khan - Apr 17, 2009
- Implementing child rights laws a problem, admits Renuka Chowdhury - Apr 17, 2009