Probe launched into Delhi drowning deaths (Lead)March 6th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) Families of four boys who drowned in a watery pit here in darkness prepared for the last rites Saturday, as authorities ordered a probe into alleged negligence by the city’s water board.
The boys died late Friday after falling into the seven-foot pit dug by the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) to lay a water line in Timaparpur area in north Delhi. The victims were from the nearby Gopalpur village.
The four children were identified as Vikas, 8, Atul, 7, his brother Ritesh, 9, and Narender, 8.
Furious villagers, who held up traffic to denounce official apathy, said the pit was dug nearly a month ago on DJB land. “The matter is being probed,” a police official said.
On Saturday, the DJB said it had launched an inquiry.
“A team headed by DJB chief engineer will probe what happened and whether there was any negligence. The report will be submitted within two working days,” DJB spokesperson Sanjam Cheema told IANS.
- Compensation for families of boys who drowned (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2010
- Probe launched into Delhi drowning deaths - Mar 06, 2010
- DJP asked to pay Rs.3.5 lakh to kin of drowned kids - Feb 02, 2011
- Four children drown in pit in Delhi - Mar 06, 2010
- Timarpur residents protest over drowned children's deaths - Mar 06, 2010
- Delhi boy dies after falling into water board pit - Mar 03, 2010
- Constable rescues three kids from pit in Delhi - Apr 14, 2012
- Taps run dry for third day in parts of Delhi - Feb 16, 2011
- Delhi faces water crisis, two treatment plants shut down - Dec 29, 2010
- Adequate water supply by evening in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Delhi government asked to compensate kin of drowned worker - Feb 11, 2011
- Dikshit, DJB officers issued notice on water meters - Jun 04, 2012
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- DJB seeks to learn water recycling from Singapore - Jun 20, 2012
- Dikshit urged to get drinking water in primary schools - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,