Probe into uranium seizure beginsFebruary 21st, 2008 - 3:55 pm ICT by admin
Patna, Feb 21 (IANS) The police have begun a probe into the seizure of four kg low-grade uranium from Supaul district in Bihar near the Indo-Nepal border. Official sources told IANS that the police had approached Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) at Trombay near Mumbai to test the uranium.
“We will send the seized uranium for test to the forensic science laboratory of BARC,” the police said.
Acting on an intelligence tip-off, a police team had seized uranium from near Virpur bus stand in Supaul district Feb 18.
Six people, including a schoolteacher and a Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) trooper, had been arrested.
The police suspect a big gang could be behind the racket.
The estimated value of the seized uranium is about Rs.50 million in the international market.
The police suspect the seized uranium was either being smuggled from Meghalaya to Nepal or from Nepal to Supaul.
- Two Nepali women nabbed with cannabis - Dec 25, 2010
- Nepali woman nabbed with drugs in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 29, 2010
- Three Nepali women held with cannabis - Sep 13, 2011
- Three troopers arrested in Bihar - May 27, 2012
- Uranium seized at Indo-Nepal border, six arrested - Feb 19, 2008
- Two Nepali women held with drugs - Dec 14, 2010
- Nepali women held with Rs.20 lakh drugs - Sep 29, 2011
- Three Chinese held for photographing troopers' camps - Jan 18, 2011
- Arrested Chinese sent to 10-day judicial remand - Jan 21, 2011
- Two drug peddlers held in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 09, 2011
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Cop killed over cooking row - Jul 25, 2011
- Three more SSB battalions to to be deployed on Nepal border - Aug 30, 2011
- Four troopers injured in villagers' attack - Apr 11, 2011