Probe into lapsing of fund for Bihar studentsApril 25th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by admin
Patna, April 25 (IANS) A probe has been ordered into the lapsing of a scholarship fund for minority students in Bihar, sources in the chief minister’s office said Friday. The action comes a day after members of the Aqliyat Chhatravriti Morcha staged a sit-in here to protest against the denial of scholarship benefits to minority students.
Hundreds of poor minority students, mainly Muslims, were deprived of a central government scholarship in Bihar due to the apathy of the state government, claimed various Muslim organisations.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered the probe to determine the cause behind the lapsing of the scholarship fund.
“Kumar asked principal secretary of the minority welfare department to conduct the probe and submit a report,” an official said.
He directed the officials to approach the central government for recovery of the amount and to take stern action against those found guilty for the lapsing of the scholarship fund, sources said.
During the last one week activists of various Muslim organizations have alleged that the state government was responsible for the lapsing of the scholarship fund for minority students.
The scholarship was one of the steps taken by the United Progressive Alliance government after the Justice Rajinder Sachar Committee recommended pro-active measures for the economic and socio-educational empowerment of minorities in the country.
The central government scholarship meant for about 5,430 poor minority students was “allowed to lapse deliberately” by the top brass of the state government, alleged activists of some influential Muslim bodies here.
The poor minority students were entitled to get between Rs.5,000 and Rs.12,000 per year as scholarship. But the total amount of Rs.50 million for this scholarship was allowed to lapse, they said.
- Poor minority students deprived of scholarship in Bihar - Apr 24, 2008
- Will follow Sachar's advice on minority welfare: Mamata - Jul 30, 2011
- Ambitious plans for Muslims ahead of Tripura polls - Feb 29, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt hails Mamata for minority welfare - Jul 15, 2012
- Where will Bengal's Muslim votes go? - Apr 25, 2011
- Schemes changing situation of minorities: PM - Dec 29, 2011
- Islamic NGO gives scholarships to Hindu students - Jun 10, 2012
- Scholarships for Himachal students living far from school - Jul 08, 2011
- Delhi government diverted funds meant for SCs: NGO - Jul 08, 2012
- Over 40,000 scholarships provided to minority community - Jul 13, 2012
- Why quotas for only OBC Muslims, asks community - Dec 02, 2011
- Educational aid for poor: BJP to raise issue in parliament - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Over 95 lakh Muslim students benefited through scholarships' - Aug 23, 2012
- Give Congress a chance, PM says in Bihar (Lead) - Oct 16, 2010
- After house, corrupt Bihar official's land seized - Nov 21, 2011