Probe begins into Orissa rail accidentFebruary 16th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 16 (IANS) Indian Railways has begun its probe into the train accident in Orissa that claimed nine lives and injured about 150, an official said Monday.
“Balbir Singh, the commissioner of railway safety, has arrived here. He visited the spot on Saturday, met railway staff and examined the tracks,” said J.P. Mishra, chief public relations officer of East Coast Railway.
“He is likely to record statements of witnesses in a day or two,” Mishra told IANS.
The Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Express derailed just at the point of crossing the tracks Friday evening near the Jajpur-Keonjhar Road railway station, about 120 km from here.
Fourteen of the 24 coaches went off the track. At least four of the derailed coaches were badly damaged.
The cause of the accident is not yet clear and the commissioner is looking at various possible causes, a railway official said.
“These include track conditions and the condition of the engine. He is also looking at the possibility of human interference,” the official added.
Train services on the route were resumed Sunday after the tracks damaged in the accident were repaired.
- Patnaik visits rail accident site, meets victims (Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Tracks repaired at Orissa accident site, train services normal - Feb 15, 2009
- Three killed, dozens injured as train derailed in Orissa (Third Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa rail tragedy toll revised to nine (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2009
- 15 killed, 100 injured as train derails in Orissa (Fourth Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Train derails in Uttar Pradesh, all passengers safe - Apr 27, 2011
- Three killed, eight injured in Orissa derailment (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Orissa train accident victims recount night of horror - Feb 14, 2009
- 26 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Second Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Express train derailed in Orissa - Feb 13, 2009
- 15 killed, 150 injured in Orissa train tragedy (Night Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Rail traffic disrupted as goods train derails - Oct 04, 2011
- Three Swedes among Uttar Pradesh rail accident victims - Jul 11, 2011
- Relatives complain lack of information on rail tragedy - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa train tragedy survivors arrive in Kolkata - Feb 14, 2009