Probe begins into children’s deaths in Tirupati hospitalAugust 16th, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 16 (IANS) The health authorities in Andhra Pradesh Thursday began a probe into the death of five children at the S.V.R. Ruia Government General Hospital in Tirupati the day before due to alleged negligence by doctors.
Chittoor district health officials visited the hospital in the temple town to begin an inquiry ordered by Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy.
A state minister who visited the hospital Thursday denied that the deaths were due to negligence by the doctors but admitted to shortage of doctors and lack of medical infrastructure at the government-run facility.
Mines and Geology Minister Galla Aruna Kumari, who hails from the same district, said 206 children were undergoing treatment in the 90-bed hospital.
“There is a problem due to shortage of doctors and the government is trying to address the same,” she said.
The minister said unlike private hospitals which refused to admit the critically ill patients, the government facility admitted all children coming for treatment. “It is unfair to blame doctors for what happened here,” she told reporters.
Hospital officials said the children were brought here at “late stage” and despite their best efforts the infants died.
During the visit to the hospital, the minister had to face an angry protest from Bharatiya Janata Party workers, who demanded that the government take action against doctors for their negligence.
Parents alleged that non-availability of senior doctors on Independence Day Wednesday and the negligence led to the deaths.
Hospital Superintendent J. Veeraswamy also denied reports that 11 children had died.
- Bengal government orders inquiry into crib deaths - May 24, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Bengal's biggest paediatric hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- Three more children die in Kolkata hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- 10 infants die in Andhra hospital - Sep 02, 2011
- Mysterious disease toll is 36 in Bihar - Jun 07, 2012
- Rabies deaths rattle Andhra - Jun 04, 2011
- Five mental clinics to come up in Jammu region - Jul 02, 2012
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- Kids' deaths: Omar visits hospital; says situation grave - May 18, 2012
- Row over Sai Baba's condition, ex-MP says he's a hostage - Apr 15, 2011
- 10 die as emergency services crippled in Andhra hospitals (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: angry protest, aruna, chief minister, district health, galla, government facility, government general, health authorities, health officials, hospital officials, ill patients, janata party, kiran kumar, kumari, medical infrastructure, private hospitals, ruia, state minister, temple town, undergoing treatment