Probe begins into Chhattisgarh witchcraft caseDecember 21st, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 21 (IANS) The police Sunday began investigation into alleged forced hair-cut of about 50 women who were assaulted in a Chhattisgarh village after being branded as witches.The incident took place at a forested Dhodhakesra village in impoverished Surguja district, some 400 km north of the state capital Raipur.
“Chief Minister Raman Singh has taken a serious view of the incident of about 50 women being publicly humiliated and harassed,” an official statement said.
“Singh who termed the incident most inhuman, unfortunate and shameful has asked the police chief of the state to thoroughly investigate the case and ensure punishment to culprits under the law.”
Reports reaching here say that some villagers on advise of a religious person organised a nine-day purification ceremony at the village and forcibly cut hair of about 50 women who were also beaten up “to free them from impact of the evil spirits”.
The villagers had allegedly claimed these women were actually “witches” and they hosted a purification function to free them from evil powers.
With rising cases of harassment to women in the name of witchcraft, the state government enacted a Witchcraft (Prevention) Act, 2005, with provisions of jail term up to five years against the culprits.
- Chhattisgarh police arrest 22 for assaulting 50 women - Dec 23, 2008
- Boy kills aunt, thinking she is a witch - Mar 06, 2010
- Assam sexagenarian vows to save witch-hunt victims - May 19, 2012
- Branded witch and banished, woman seeks police help - Feb 11, 2012
- Couple blinded for alleged witchcraft - May 21, 2011
- Tribal woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Jul 08, 2012
- 'Witch' hunt continues in Rajasthan - Oct 04, 2011
- Rajasthan woman branded as 'witch', tortured - Aug 06, 2011
- Single women victims of witch-hunt in tribal Assam - Nov 02, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Woman branded witch, brutally tortured in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Woman branded witch, ordered to leave village - May 19, 2011
- Witches set world record for largest gathering - Aug 19, 2012
- Woman branded a witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Six booked for branding woman as witch - May 31, 2011