Probe begins into Bihar police firing deathsJune 4th, 2011 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 4 (IANS) An inquiry has been initiated into the killing of four protesters in police firing in Bihar’s Araria district, an official said Saturday.
Four people were killed and over a dozen were injured Friday when police opened fire at a group of protesters who were trying to burn down a factory in Forbesganj, about 350 km from Patna.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has ordered the probe into the incident and asked top officials to submit the report within two days.
State Home Secretary Amir Subhani and Additional Director General of Police Rajwardhan Sharma are visiting Forbesganj to conduct the inquiry.
According to a district administration official, hundreds of people were protesting the blocking of a street due to a starch factory being set up near their village on Friday. The angry demonstration later led to police firing.
Nitish Kumar has appealed to the villagers to maintain peace and told them that officials found guilty in the killing would be punished.
However, tension continued in Forbesganj even Saturday. “Heavy deployment of security forces has been made and top police officers are holding a meeting with villagers to pacify them,” an official said.
- Judicial panel to probe Bihar firing - Jun 23, 2011
- Opposition blames Nitish for police firing deaths (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Bihar Deputy CM in trouble over police firing - Jun 10, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi meets victims of Bihar police firing - Jul 01, 2011
- Opposition attacks Nitish over police firing deaths - Jun 06, 2011
- Forbesganj firing: Senior Bihar cop in dock - Jul 09, 2011
- Lalu Prasad gives compensation to victims of police firing - Sep 05, 2011
- Four killed in police firing in Bihar, probe ordered (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Muslim bodies demand action against Bihar cops - Jun 12, 2011
- JD-U rebels seek compensation for police firing victims - Jun 23, 2011
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011
- Five injured in police firing in Bihar - Feb 22, 2011
- NHRC begins probe into Bihar police firing - Jul 21, 2011
- Arrest warrants issued against Nirmal Baba - May 19, 2012
Tags: administration official, amir, chief minister, deaths, demonstration, deployment, district administration, home secretary, peace, police officers, protesters, security forces, starch factory, tension