Probe assault on advocate in police station: Court (Lead)October 19th, 2011 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the police to register a case over the alleged beating of an advocate in a south Delhi police station when he went there Oct 16 to record a complaint.
Advocate Shreeji Bhavsar was allegedly assaulted by sub-inspector O.P. Yadav of the Sarita Vihar police station when he went there, along with other area residents, to register a complaint against an illegal demolition by a civic agency.
A division bench of acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw asked police to register a first information report over the beating, in which the advocate fractured his right thumb, besides receiving injuries on the arms.
The bench also asked the Crime Branch of the police to probe the case under a joint commissioner of police.
Police counsel Pawan Sharma told the bench that a sub-inspector accused of assaulting Bhavsar had already been suspended after the lawyer lodged a complaint against him.
The bench fixed the next hearing on Nov 2, seeking a status report on the incident.
The bench was told that the victim and five others had gone to the police station to lodge a complaint. The victim insisted the sub-inspector register a case but he refused to do so, leading to a argument between the two.
The petition said that the policeman lost his temper and assaulted the lawyer.
- Court orders police action on lawyer's assault (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Delhi cops told not to harass Northeasterners and Ladakhis - Mar 29, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
- Man shot in suspected honour killing in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 02, 2012
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- UP policeman sent to jail for sodomy - Aug 29, 2012
- Court firm on punishing lawyer for assaulting woman colleague - Jan 16, 2012
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Notice to governments over child rights - Aug 29, 2012
- Court dismisses plea for probe into Singhvi CD - Apr 25, 2012
- Court sends activist's death probe to crime branch (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Court permits opening of Tiwari's DNA report - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: advocate, chief justice, commissioner of police, crime branch, delhi high court, delhi police, division bench, information report, New Delhi, nov 2, police police, police station, policeman, probe assault, rajiv, sahai, sarita vihar, south delhi, temper, yadav