Probe against cop using security vessel for fishingOctober 11th, 2010 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Oct 11 (IANS) A probe has been initiated against an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer who was caught fishing along with his relatives in a hi-tech marine patrol vessel Sunday morning, a police official said.
The issue came to light after a local newspaper carried a photograph of Superintendent of Police (Anti-narcotics cell) Veenu Bansal fishing along with his relatives in the fast patrol vessel, operated by the coastal security police.
The boat, manufactured by the Goa Shipyard, was procured to counter sea-borne terrorists by the Goa government on the directions of the union home ministry.
The photograph published in local English newspaper Gomantak Times Monday shows Bansal dressed in a red police life-jacket, with seven other civilians, including two children fishing in the sleek vessel at the picturesque Nerul creek, which is lined with mangroves and known as a happy fishing ground.
The boat party is also armed with several fishing rods.
“An enquiry has been initiated as to how the boat was issued to the officer concerned for fishing as shown in the photo. The allotment of the boat for sorties is the responsibility of the coastal security division of the state police,” a senior police official told IANS.
Police press relations officer Atmaram Deshpande refused to comment. “We have taken note of this. I cannot tell you anything more,” he said.
Bansal, when contacted, also refused to comment. “I cannot say anything. Please contact the director general of police,” he said.
DGP Bhimsain Bassi was unavailable for comment.
- Goa chief minister's criticism of cop flayed by BJP - Jan 17, 2011
- Israelis, drugs and spy cam video wars in Goa (Letter from Goa) - Jan 12, 2011
- Goa top cop likens going to casinos to visiting temple - Nov 16, 2009
- Goa drug nexus: Arunachal police officer may be summoned - Jan 20, 2011
- 'Police officers being hounded for exposing Goa drug trade' - Feb 01, 2011
- Drugs virtually non-existent in Goa, says senior cop - Apr 23, 2010
- Goa is not Colombia when it comes to drugs: Police chief - May 10, 2011
- Sack Goa police chief for casinos remark, demands BJP - Nov 17, 2009
- Youtube video shows nexus of drug mafia, Goa police - Mar 03, 2010
- Kamat calls for report on Goa police-politician-drug mafia nexus - Jan 12, 2011
- Drugs worth Rs.25 lakh seized in Goa - Apr 24, 2010
- Goa police hunt for Israeli drug dealer's Kazakh girlfriend - Feb 25, 2010
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Not aware of police nexus with drug dealer: Goa top cop - Feb 27, 2010
- Extradition process on for runaway Israeli drug dealer: Police - May 10, 2011
Tags: allotment, boat party, dgp, fishing ground, fishing rods, goa government, indian police service, mangroves, narcotics, nerul, oct 11, patrol vessel, police life, police official, security division, security police, shipyard, sleek vessel, state police, union home ministry