Priyanka salutes woman power of music industrySeptember 23rd, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Sep 23 (IANS) Priyanka Chopra set the stage on fire as she paid a tribute to popular Indian female singers like Kavita Krishnamurthy, Rekha Bhardwaj, Sunidhi Chauhan and Usha Uthup by grooving to their iconic numbers at the Global Indian Music Awards (GIMA).
The colourful and power-packed performance left the audience at the Kingdom of Dreams in awe Thursday night.
“A hundred years from now I may not be here, but all your voices will be. The music that you have created will be,” Priyanka said of the singers post her performance.
“Thank you so much for giving people like me the opportunity to be remembered for lifetime through you. You are the stars, not us. Thank you for being in our lives,” she added.
With a stage backdrop of the royal Mughal era, Priyanka started her performance with a semi-classical dance on “Kaahe chhed mohe” from 2002 film “Devdas”.
After the dance, which was originally performed by Madhuri Dixit, Priyanka brought its singer Kavita Krishnamurthy on stage.
Next up, Priyanka was joined on stage by National Award winner Rekha Bhardwaj, who came swaying in joy to her song “Genda phool”, an adaptation of a folk song from Chhattisgarh.
Just before the audience could get enough of the melodies, the high-tech auditorium turned to look like a mini circus, with men dressed as clowns hanging from the ceiling, dancers making abrupt entry from all corners of the hall, and jugglers and performers taking centrestage with Priyanka and Usha Uthup.
The duo grooved on “Darling” from “7 Khoon Maaf”.
The grand performance came to a close as Priyanka and Sunidhi Chauhan grooved to popular song “Desi girl” from 2008 film “Dostana”.
Priyanka, a trained singer herself, is breaking musical ground internationally as she is set to launch her debut album in English in 2012.
- 'Dabangg' sweeps GIMA with six awards - Sep 23, 2011
- '3 Idiots' triumphs at first edition of GIMA awards - Nov 11, 2010
- Priyanka's tributes to Rekha, Shahid's to southern songs - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Shirin Farhad...' soundtrack laced with romantic tones (IANS music review) - Aug 07, 2012
- Bollywood touch lends glitz to CWG closure (Lead) - Oct 14, 2010
- I'm very proud of Vishalji, Rekha ma'am: Priyanka Chopra - May 20, 2011
- 'Rockstar' sweeps FICCI FRAMES awards - Mar 17, 2012
- 'Barfi!' soundtrack is simple, flawless (IANS Music Review) - Aug 28, 2012
- Priyanka pays tribute to Rekha at IIFA - Jun 10, 2012
- Shahid, Priyanka's 'Uff' moment at IIFA Rocks - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Teri Meri Kahaani' beautifully captures three eras (IANS Music Review) - Jun 01, 2012
- Katrina Kaif and Shahid Kapoor rock Mirchi Music Awards - Feb 18, 2010
- Zoya Akhtar's 'Zindagi Na..' sweeps IIFA technical awards - Jun 09, 2012
- GIMA set for a confluence of all musical styles - Sep 13, 2011
- Where have private Indipop albums gone? - Oct 07, 2011