Priyanka Gandhi arrives in brother’s political turfMarch 3rd, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Amethi, March 3 (IANS) A day after the announcement of general elections, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra Tuesday arrived in this Uttar Pradesh town to spend the day in her Congress MP brother Rahul Gandhi’s political constituency where she will meet party workers and people.
Though there was no announcement of any formal launch of the party’s election campaign from here, the arrival of the charismatic fourth generation Gandhi is seen as significant in the light of the announcement of general elections that begin next month.
Priyanka, who flew down in a chartered aircraft from Delhi to the Fursatganj flying academy airstrip in Rae Bareli, drove straight to Gauriganj, where she will attend the closing ceremony of a Congress Sewa Dal camp.
She is to travel through villages of the Amethi parliamentary constituency and hold a meeting of senior Congress leaders at Munshiganj.
Huge crowds gathered all along her nearly 80 km drive to catch a glimpse of Priyanka, who is quite a rage among the locals. “She reminds us of her grandmother Indira Gandhi, whose charisma she seems to have inherited,” remarked 70-year-old Shushila Devi, who had walked some 8 km to take a look at Priyanka.
The Congress party’s workers feel Priyanka could make all the difference, not only in Amethi and neighbouring Rae Bareli - her mother Sonia Gandhi’s constituency - but also all across Uttar Pradesh, which sends 80 members to the national parliament.
“Priyanka Gandhi could really do the magic that is required to revive the Congress party in UP. I don’t know why she remains confined only to Amethi and Rae Bareli,” wondered a senior Congress leader, who preferred anonymity.
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Priyanka returns to campaign in Amethi - Jan 16, 2012
- Priyanka open to campaigning, 'anything to help' Rahul - Jan 17, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Rahul not working for his reputation in UP: Priyanka - Feb 05, 2012
- Should I join politics, Priyanka asks rival parties - Feb 05, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Congressmen urge Priyanka to enter poll fray, she declines (Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- Priyanka ready to play bigger role in Congress (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli - Feb 14, 2012
- Congress wants Rae Bareli, CSM Nagar officials moved out - Feb 11, 2012