Private hospitals pulled up for not treating poor patients freeNovember 12th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday pulled up several private hospitals in the capital for not providing free treatment to poor patients - a pre-condition for getting land at subsidised rates.A division bench of Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S. Muralidhar also criticised the Delhi government for failing to take action against such hospitals while government hospitals were flooded by poor patients from all over the country.
The court was hearing a petition filed by an NGO seeking action against the Apollo Hospital for charging poor patients for treatment.
It asked the government and the Apollo Hospital to prepare a detailed report about the amount they charge from a poor patient and from a regular category patient.
The bench also pointed out findings of a committee appointed by it that showed the Apollo Hospital had wrongly claimed it was providing free treatment to poor patients.
The bench directed the committee comprising of S.K. Sarin and Additional Solicitor General Amarendra Sharan to visit the hospital and submit a detailed report by Dec 17, the next date of hearing.
Apollo Hospital, on the other hand, said it is a profit-oriented venture and the poor patients have to bear the cost of medicines.
The court also issued notice to the St. Stephens Hospital, Moolchand hospital and Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute for charging fees from the poor patients.
- Court notice to 12 private hospitals in Delhi - Aug 08, 2012
- Government to identify poor patients at Apollo Hospital - Aug 18, 2009
- Apollo Hospital served notice for charging money from poor patients - Nov 29, 2009
- Private hospitals asked for free treatment policy - Jul 25, 2011
- SC again asks Novartis to cut cancer drug price - Sep 12, 2012
- Draw up workable scheme for free treatment to poor patients: Apex court - Aug 25, 2011
- Delhi's private hospitals told to treat poor free (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Treat poor free, apex court tells 10 Delhi hospitals - Sep 01, 2011
- Apex court to examine plea on terror accused - Aug 27, 2012
- Court directs Apollo to give free treatment to poor - Sep 22, 2009
- Court directs Apollo to give free treatment to poor (Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notice on Dinakaran's petition (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Court serves notice in nurse's certificate case - May 12, 2011
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Government reply sought on plea over bus corridor - Jan 19, 2012