Prisoners request President for mercy killingJune 6th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
By S. Neelam
Allahabad, June 6 (IANS) Incarcerated for more than 14 years, 97 lifers lodged in Naini central jail here have, in an unprecedented move, written to the President of India seeking mercy killing. The letter, a copy of which was obtained by IANS Friday from jail sources, was signed by all 97 lifers and sent through registered post last Thursday.
In the emotionally charged letter, the prisoners stated that all of them had served more than 14 years in prison and displayed good conduct. They said their families and relatives had even lost all hope of their return home.
“Instead of waiting for death in the jail, we would prefer to embrace death earlier so that our family members, who are waiting for us, could start a new life,” said the prisoners.
“This way our families would be able to live in peace instead of running from pillar to post to secure our release,” they said.
The jail inmates wondered about “the purpose of remaining alive when we can not do anything for the society and our families”.
“Are we not a burden on the government? Why is the government wasting money on us when we are of no use?” they asked.
The jail inmates Vinod Tiwari, Vansh Gopal, Ram Chandra, Bhagirathi Singh, Udit, Islam and 91 others have also sent the copy of the letter to the Chief Justice of India, the Prime Minister, the chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, Governor of UP and UP Chief Minister Mayawati.
When IANS contacted him, Deputy Inspector-General of Jails Rajendra Prashad feigned ignorance about the letter.
- Bihar to have its first 'open jail' - Mar 05, 2012
- Was prisoner using Facebook in jail? - Apr 10, 2012
- Dangerous prisoners in Britain to become hairdressers - Jan 27, 2011
- Tihar inmates receive job offers, courtesy IGNOU - Apr 21, 2011
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Raja Bhaiya orders coolers for prisoners - Apr 10, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- The violent pursuing peace education in jail - Aug 02, 2011
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Raksha Bandhan celebrated at Tihar - Aug 13, 2011
- Meerut jail inmates to churn out sports goods - Feb 09, 2011
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Over 8000 death row prisoners in Pakistan languishing in jails for decades - Mar 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012