Prisoners extend support to Binayak Sen in BiharJanuary 1st, 2011 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 1 (IANS) Hundreds of prisoners in Patna’s Beur Central Jail in Bihar Friday staged protests and extended their support to activist Binayak Sen, who was sentenced to life imprisonment by a Chhattisgarh court last week. According to officials of the high-security jail, the prisoners aired their protest by staging a relay hunger-strike and threatened to launch an indefinite hunger strike if justice was not done to Binayak Sen.
“The prisoners observed a day-long hunger strike to protest against conviction to Binayak Sen,” a jail official, demanding he be not named, told IANS here Saturday.
It was a first such protest by the prisoners, most of whom belong either to the Left parties or Maoist groups in Bihar, since Sen was convicted on charges of sedition Dec 24.
During their protest, the prisoners shouted slogans and were also addressed by some inmates in the jail where hundreds of prisoners, including Maoists, are lodged.
Official sources in the state prison department said that the security in Bihar’s prisons has been tightened in view of the call of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist to observe a country-wide protest week Jan 2-8 against the court judgment, convicting Sen, Maoist ideologue Narayan Sanyal and Kolkata based businessman Piyush Guha.
- Chhattisgarh right activists protest Binayak Sen's conviction - Dec 31, 2010
- Mahasweta Devi to join mass sit-in for Binayak Sen's release - Jan 18, 2011
- Apex court notice to Chhattisgarh on Binayak associate's bail (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Supreme Court adjourns Binayak Sen's bail plea till Friday - Apr 11, 2011
- Chhattisgarh high court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
- Kolkata doctors to campaign for Binayak Sen's release - Jan 08, 2011
- 'Cultural protest' against Binayak Sen's jail Tuesday - Feb 14, 2011
- Binayak Sen walks out of jail, says I am no traitor - Apr 19, 2011
- Maoists begin week-long protest against Sen conviction - Jan 02, 2011
- Binayak cannot leave the country without permission - Apr 18, 2011
- Binayak Sen's conviction is proper use of a very bad law, says Arundhati Roy - Feb 12, 2011
- Binayak Sen moves high court against life term - Jan 06, 2011
- Bengal Left hails Sen's bail - Apr 15, 2011
- Binayak Sen bail hearing to continue Tuesday - Jan 24, 2011
- Binayak Sen case timeline - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: bihar, businessman, central jail, communist party of india, court judgment, dec 24, high security, indefinite hunger strike, inmates, left parties, life imprisonment, maoist, maoists, narayan, patna, prisoners, security jail, sedition, slogans, state prison