Prisoner kills self in Agra jailDecember 13th, 2008 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 13 (IANS) A prisoner serving life sentence in the overcrowded Agra Central Jail has committed suicide by hanging himself, the authorities said Saturday.Hasrat, a resident of Bulandshahr district, was being treated for mental illness. He was shifted from Bulandshahr to the Agra prison in April.
The 52-year-old used his clothes to hang himself from a ventilator Friday evening, an official said.
The Agra jail has more than double the number of prisoners it can hold. Amnesty International recently organised a protest demanding better facilities for the inmates.
- Rajiv Gandhi killing convict couple meet in Vellore jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Gandhi accused Nalini breaks down - Sep 07, 2011
- Russian prison to install sunbeds to improve the health of their inmates - Nov 11, 2010
- Tihar warms up to its inmates - Dec 24, 2011
- Cash-strapped Italy to free thousands of prisoners - Dec 15, 2011
- 134 Brazilian prisoners escape in two jailbreaks - Nov 28, 2011
- Agra prisoner hangs himself in jail - Sep 19, 2009
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Delhi told to pay damages for Tihar inmate's suicide - Feb 06, 2012
- Singer George Michael released early from prison - Oct 11, 2010
- Seven prisoners booked for lynching doctor in Bihar - May 30, 2011
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Don't deprive Pakistani prisoners of rights, dignity: Apex court - Feb 28, 2012
- Court orders better facilities for mentally ill prisoners - Mar 09, 2011
- 2,000 El Salvador inmates suffer from food poisoning - Jun 20, 2011