Prisoner escapes from Jammu high security jailAugust 22nd, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 22 (IANS) A prisoner escaped Wednesday from a high security jail in Kathua of Jammu region which houses many hardcore militants, an official said.
A jail official told IANS that Sohan Singh, undergoing trial in a murder case since 1998, was reported missing by jail staff around 7 a.m. The 35-year-old prisoner made good his escape while the prison premises were being cleaned.
“All the 124 prisoners were present during headcount at 6 a.m. Then cleaning of the premises began, after which Sohan Singh was reported missing,” the official said. Of the 124 prisoners, about 50 are militants.
The matter has been reported to the police and a search is on for the missing prisoner.
The Department of Prisons authorities have ordered an inquiry into the escape.
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- No jail is impregnable: senior Kerala cop - Jun 15, 2010
- Two murders convicts escape from Gurgaon jail - Sep 01, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Thomas Kelley escapes from San Diego prison by stealing a fire engine - Jan 03, 2012
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- Punjab jail riot leaves one dead - Nov 21, 2011
- Jammu prisoners participate in kite flying festival - Aug 10, 2012
- Afghan mass jail escape had 'inside help': Minister - Apr 27, 2011
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Undertrial commits suicide in Uttar Pradesh prison - Sep 20, 2011
- 70 percent Tihar inmates are undertrials (Second Lead, correcting figure in para 3) - Jan 31, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Sowing seeds of change in jail premises - Dec 23, 2011
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012