Prime minister on two-day visit to AssamAugust 25th, 2008 - 10:03 am ICT by IANS
Jorhat (Assam), Aug 25 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrives in Assam Monday on a two-day visit amid hopes that he will address some of the state’s major issues like insurgency and influx of Bangladeshi migrants.The prime minister, who is a Rajya Sabha MP from Assam, arrives Monday midday in the eastern tea growing town of Jorhat, about 310 km from Assam’s main city of Guwahati, where he is scheduled to lay the foundation stone of a medical college.
Manmohan Singh will also inaugurate hospitals on wheels (mobile medical units) for 17 districts and then address a public rally in Jorhat. He is also scheduled to meet a group of Satradhikars or Vaishnavite monastic heads of Majuli, South Asia’s largest river island, in Jorhat.
The prime minister then leaves for the central Assam town of Nagaon where he is scheduled to address another public rally Monday afternoon before staying overnight in Guwahati.
The prime minister is expected to address a meeting of the Assam council of ministers Monday night at the Raj Bhawan.
On Tuesday, the prime minister will address students and faculty members of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Guwahati, before leaving for the western town of Kokrajhar, about 250 km from Guwahati.
“The prime minister will lay the foundation stone of the Bodoland University, a planetarium, and a science museum-cum children park in Kokrajhar,” said Hagrama Mahilary, chief of the Bodoland Territorial Council.
The prime minister leaves for New Delhi Tuesday evening.
- PM's Assam visit begins Monday amid high hopes - Aug 24, 2008
- Shortage of doctors, nurses India's biggest healthcare challenge: PM - Aug 25, 2008
- Shortage of doctors, nurses biggest healthcare challenge: PM (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- PM to begin two-day Assam visit today - Aug 25, 2008
- PM arriving on two-day visit to Assam - Feb 18, 2011
- Manmohan Singh promises priority for development of Assam, North East - Feb 19, 2011
- PM, Sonia visit Assam to assess flood situation - Jul 02, 2012
- Peace talks with ULFA a very positive thing: PM (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Gogoi pushes for World Heritage tag for Assam river island - May 12, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
- Assam legislator arrested for role in ethnic violence - Aug 23, 2012
- PM on two-day visit to Assam from Friday - Feb 17, 2011
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012