Priest slain in ColombiaMay 3rd, 2012 - 10:59 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, May 3 (IANS/EFE) The Rev. Jesus Maria Parra, a priest of Colombia’s Orthodox Catholic denomination, was fatally shot at a downtown Bogota hotel he owned, police said Wednesday.
Two suspects were arrested shortly after the killing at the Santamaria de Jesus Hotel in the poor neighbourhood of Santa Fe, police Maj. Eduardo Tovar told radio stations.
The 56-year-old Parra had a reputation as a faith healer.
Tovar said police had no information on a motive for the murder, but media outlets reported the priest received threats from people unhappy over their eviction from another Bogota property owned by Parra.
Roughly 100 Catholic priests, bishops, monks, nuns and seminary students have been slain in Colombia since 1984, according to figures from the Colombian bishops conference.
- 2 priests slain in Colombian capital - Jan 28, 2011
- Priest hacked to death in Colombia - Sep 14, 2011
- Woman gunned down in church in Colombia - Aug 21, 2012
- Murder in Colombian church during Mass - Nov 19, 2010
- Blast kills three varsity students in Colombia - Mar 26, 2012
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Fire destroys 134-year-old church in Colombia - Dec 27, 2010
- Church set on fire in Colombia - Sep 17, 2010
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Three die in Colombian plane crash - Mar 19, 2012
- `Colombia now South America's No. 2 economy' - Sep 01, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- 170 canaries seized from bus in Colombia - Aug 30, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012