Prevent cruelty to animals in AIIMS lab, PETA urges PMOctober 10th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Stung by reports of cruelty to animals in a laboratory at the premier All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, animal rights organisation PETA has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking for an inspection of the facility and the immediate rehabilitation of the animals “languishing” there for years.Following media reports of ill-treatment of animals at the AIIMS Central Animal Facility, a team of the Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision on Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA) had visited the facility.
“Anil Gupta Kumar, who is in the team inspecting the animal house of AIIMS, has issued statements in the media prior to the inspection of the animal house facility, defending AIIMS by saying that there is no problem in the animal housing facility and that it is up to the standards laid down by CPCSEA,” the letter from People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said.
Such statements by CPCSEA inspection teams prior to any inspection gives the impression that it is trying to shield the AIIMS from the media and from action from the government, the letter added.
According to media reports, animals kept for testing at the facility have been there for more than 10 years, when CPCSEA guidelines say that animals should not be kept for more than three years.
“We request you to rehabilitate all the animals from the AIIMS urgently. We would further suggest that the CPCSEA should clearly and openly take a stand in favour of animals for which it has been formed under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and under the Animal Welfare Division, and make animal house inspection reports public,” the PETA letter said.
“After all, it is the hard earned money of tax payers which is being used to fund cruel research on animals, and we are sure that people will not want that their hard earned money is being spent by the government to fund cruel animal abuse,” the letter added.
“PETA is willing to assist CPCSEA in all their inspections to help animals,” it said.
- Retire old monkeys, urges Anderson; animals fine, says AIIMS (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- PETA to protest outside AIIMS for release of animals - Mar 04, 2011
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- PETA pleads for animals killed in medical research - Oct 22, 2008
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- PETA 'monkeys' around to protest AIIMS animal facility - Jul 10, 2009
- Retire aging monkeys, Pamela Anderson urges AIIMS - Feb 19, 2011
- PETA complains against illegal animal tests in Punjab - Sep 17, 2009
- PETA for banning horse drawn carriages in Mumbai (With Images) - Jun 13, 2012
- Stop torture of rats, says PETA - Apr 02, 2012
- PETA is unhappy with Mario as he wears a Tanooki suit - Nov 16, 2011
- PETA takes RTI route to protest against AIIMS - Mar 27, 2009
- PETA offers Pakistan cricketers ad for makeover - Sep 14, 2010
- Screen 'Kitty Porn' in Karnataka assembly, says PETA - Feb 27, 2012
- Hema Malini urges ban on Tamil Nadu's Jallikattu - Jul 01, 2011