Pressure on Abraamovich give Chelsea charge to Di MatteoMay 20th, 2012 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Munich, May 20 (IANS) Pressure is mounting on Chealsea’s millionaire owner Roman Abramovich to allow interim coach Roberto Di Matteo continue with the job permannetly.
The Italian, within two-and-a-half-month’s of being in charge, after the sacking of his boss Andre-Vilas Boas, led Chelsea to win a Champions League and FA Cup.
Chelsea captain John Terry, who lifted the Cup Saturday night despite missing the final due to his red card in the semifinal triumph over Barcelona, feels Di Matteo deserves to take over the job permanently.
“Robbie has been fantastic since he came in. You look at that trophy. That’s certainly what we’ve been waiting for, what the owner’s been waiting for, what the owner was in tears for. He’s strived for this, he’s pumped an awful lot of money into this football club trying to achieve that,” Terry was quoted as saying in the English media.
“Tonight we’ve done that and Robbie deserves a lot of credit for that. We hope he gets the job permanently. “He’s been fantastic. To win the FA Cup and the Champions League… he can’t do more than that,” Terry said while thanking the UEFA for allowing him to lift the cup.
Lampard also agreed with Terry on Di Matteo’s future with the club.
“He took us from a struggling team maybe going out of the Champions League and we won it, so look at that,” he said.
Goalkeeper Petr Cech also feels that Di Matteo has strong chance to be manager on a permanent basis.
“Whatever happens to him, he’s got two fantastic cups and he’s deserved that. I think he’s done enough to get the job but now it’s up to the board to decide,” he said.
Bayern boss Jupp Heynckes also backed the Italian, saying: “If I was the owner of a club, I would give Di Matteo a three-year contract.”
- Di Matteo appointed permanent Chelsea coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea manager Villas-Boas gets the sack - Mar 04, 2012
- John Terry apologises for being sent off against Barca - Apr 25, 2012
- Champions League win my greatest achievement: Didier Drogba - Jun 17, 2012
- Guardiola to take sabbatical from football - Apr 27, 2012
- Ancelotti backs Chelsea to win Treble next year - May 16, 2010
- Hiddink expected to join Chelsea soon - Jun 04, 2011
- Chelsea boss hints at summer overhaul - Feb 18, 2012
- Chelsea FC not dead yet, says coach Ancelotti - Feb 22, 2011
- Italian Ancelotti set to coach Paris Saint-Germain - Dec 29, 2011
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Bielsa extends Athletic Bilbao deal - Jun 03, 2012
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
Tags: barcelona, boss, captain john, cech, champions league, di matteo, fa cup, football club, interim coach, job, john terry, jupp heynckes, millionaire, money, munich, saturday night, triumph, trophy, uefa, vilas boas