President’s son denies breaking protocolMay 1st, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil’s son Rajendra Singh Shekhawat Thursday denied breaking protocol by flying to Miami briefly on a personal trip from Mexico while accompanying his mother to the Latin American country. “It was ok to go around on my own,” Shekhawat told the Times Now TV channel. His clarification followed media reports which said that his absence at a banquet hosted by the Mexican president had embarrassed the hosts.
The president’s son said he was merely a “visitor” to Mexico and the other two countries his mother visited — Brazil and Chile.
“I went to some of the programmes. I was a visitor, a spectator there. I had nothing to discuss with them, they had nothing to discuss with me, because I am not a decision maker,” he said. “What is wrong in going around the place if you feel like?”
External affairs ministry officials said Shekhawat’s going away to the US to attend to personal work was not a breach of protocol. “It’s more a matter of propriety and personal integrity. But it’s not a breach of protocol,” a ministry official told IANS.
Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Archana Datta told IANS: “There was a long pending invitation from the University of Florida (for Shekhawat). Since Shekhawat was in Mexico, he took the opportunity to visit the university. He bore the expenses for his visit.”
The president’s family runs a chain of schools and colleges in their home district of Jalgaon in Maharashtra and in Mumbai.
- President's son conducts personal business on official tour - Apr 30, 2008
- President's son conducts personal business on official tour(Lead) - Apr 30, 2008
- President Patil hosting At Home for ministers, judges - Jul 22, 2012
- Presidential changeover with 'hazar salam', buggy ride - Jul 21, 2012
- Patil's presidency smooth but lacklustre - Jul 24, 2012
- New attractions at Mughal Gardens draw huge crowds - Mar 06, 2011
- President approves nomination of Sachin, Rekha to Rajya Sabha - Apr 26, 2012
- 'Kesariya balam', Indian delicacies, wow Obamas at state banquet (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Pranab to be sworn in president at 11.30 a.m. on Wednesday - Jul 22, 2012
- NDA to president: Convene parliament session, ask government to explain brutality (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Thai prime minister arrives in India, focus on trade ties - Apr 05, 2011
- Rashtrapati Bhavan chefs to learn cooking fish Bengali style? - Jul 22, 2012
- Michelle a better dancer now: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
- Mercy pleas decided on home minister's advice: President's office - Jun 25, 2012
- Indonesian President arrives in Delhi on three-day state visit - Jan 24, 2011