‘President’s post for Pranab reward for hard work’July 22nd, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 21 (IANS) The Congress party has rewarded Pranab Mukherjee with the president’s post because of his attitude and commitment towards the responsibilities he has beengiven, former finance minister’s son, Abhijeet Mukherjee, said Sunday.
“He never thought of anything. What he expected was to perform the responsibility given to him at his best. It was because of the ability and commitment the party (Congress) rewarded him with this post,” the younger Mukherjee told a TV news channel after his father romped home as India’s 13th president, defeating former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma.
The former finance minister Sunday won almost 70 percent of the vote to secure his journey to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
“He never discussed whether he thought of becoming president or prime minister. He never discussed his future. He always said that he wanted to perform to the best of his ability,” his son added.
Soon after he was declared president-elect, the 76-year-old Mukherjee said “he was very happy”.
At the half-way mark, Sangma was way behind with 239,966 votes as counting continued, Mukherjee’s polling agent Pravin H. Parikh told IANS.
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma gets fewer votes in Meghalaya; none in Nagaland, Kerala - Jul 22, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Became a presidential candidate incidentally, says Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma's tribal card draws bouquets, brickbats in Meghalaya - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab secures 124 votes in Kerala - Jul 19, 2012
- Pranab's son joins Congress - Mar 14, 2011
- After cross-voting woes, Yeddyurappa takes on BJP, Sangma - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab da called, but didn't ask for support: Advani (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Congress rejects Sangma appeal for debate with Mukherjee (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Sangma meets Advani, seeks support for presidential poll - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: 13th president, abhijeet mukherjee, attitude, congress party, finance minister, India, journey, Lok Sabha, parikh, party congress, pranab mukherjee, president elect, prime minister, tv news, vote