Presidential poll ends in AssamJuly 19th, 2012 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 19 (IANS) Voting for the presidential poll Thursday ended in Assam with almost all the members of the electoral college from the state casting their votes.
The voting started around 10 a.m. and continued till 5 p.m.
Out of the 126 members of the Assam legislative assembly, a total of 125 cast their votes.
All India United Democratic Front legislator Sahidul Alam Choudhury could not take part in the voting as he is out of the state for medical reasons.
Rajya Sabha MP and state Congress chief Bhubneswar Kalita also cast his vote in the Assam legislative assembly.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had claimed that a total of 111 members of the legislative assembly will cast their votes in favour of UPA’s candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
This included the 78 members of the Congress, the 12 member of its partner in the government Bodoland Peoples Front (BPF), 18 members of the AIUDF, two Independent members and one members of the Trinamool Congress (TMC).
Assam’s opposition party, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP), which has ten legislators and three MPs, had earlier decided to vote for the opposition-backed candidate Purno Agitok Sangma along with the BJP, which has only five legislators.
- Congress' sole ally in Assam threatens to quit - Apr 07, 2011
- No leader of opposition for Assam? - May 14, 2011
- Assam vote count starts - May 13, 2011
- Gogoi assures help to molestation victim, issue rocks assembly (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- Assam opposition's grand alliance plans floundering? - Mar 11, 2011
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Congress, opposition confident of winning in Assam - May 12, 2011
- We will form Assam government, say both Congress, opposition - May 10, 2011
- AGP blames machine manipulation for defeat - May 13, 2011
- Sangma predicts hung assembly for Assam - Apr 18, 2011
- Assam polls: Congress, ally in 'friendly contest' - Nov 29, 2010
- Assam elections end, over 70 percent voting (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2011
- Congress wins absolute majority in Assam (Second Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Assam polls: Congress, AGP vie for AUDF support - Dec 26, 2010
- Congress achieves a hat-trick in Assam (Lead) - May 13, 2011