Presidential flight did landing rehearsals at Mangalore airportMay 22nd, 2010 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 22 (IANS) Landing at Mangalore’s “table top” airport surrounded by deep gorges is a thrilling experience but the “risky nature” of the airport runway had made the authorities conduct aircraft landing rehearsals ahead of then president R. Venkataraman’s visit to Mangalore in 1992, an official recalls.
The president visited Mangalore to participate in a function organised by Corporation Bank, which is headquartered there.
“In 1992, president Venkataraman agreed to visit our bank headquarters in Mangalore. In order to ensure safe landing of the president’s flight, authorities rehearsed twice the aircraft landing before Venkataraman’s actual travel,” recalled K. Srinivasan, then corporate communication manager and liason officer of the bank.
“I knew this as I was coordinating with Rashtrapathi Bhavan in connection with the presidential visit to Mangalore - the first visit by an Indian president,” he said.
The rehearsal affected the schedules of the other flights at Mangalore airport and invited the media’s ire at the time.
“Landing in Mangalore airport is always a thrilling experience as one can see the ravines out of the window,” he added.
Corporation Bank was then headed by K.R. Ramamurthy.
At least 158 people were killed Saturday when Air India Express flight 812 flying in from Dubai crashed while landing at Mangalore’s airport and erupted in fire when it overshot the runway and plunged down a cliff.
- Scary, thrilling.. the Mangalore airport experience (Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to crash victims - Jul 20, 2011
- Crashed plane was in good shape, visibility not poor: AAI - May 22, 2010
- Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to kin of Mangalore crash (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Mangalore crash: Supreme Court notice on Rs.75 lakh compensation - Jan 03, 2012
- 159 dead as AI plane overshoots runway, hurtles down cliff at Mangalore (Roundup) - May 22, 2010
- 158 dead as AI plane overshoots Mangalore runway, hurtles down cliff (Intro Roundup) - May 23, 2010
- Report blames pilot error for Air India Express crash that killed 158 - Nov 17, 2010
- Flying to Mangalore is frightening, says traveller - May 22, 2010
- 158 killed as Air India plane plunges down cliff at Mangalore (Afternoon Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Eight survive Air India Express crash in Mangalore, 158 others die (Update) - May 22, 2010
- Stay on Rs.75 lakh compensation to Mangalore crash victims - Aug 25, 2011
- Pilot failed to signal SOS, being blamed for Mangalore air crash - May 22, 2010
- Crashed aircraft adhered to landing procedures: aviation ministry - May 22, 2010
- Crash paralyses Mangalore airport - May 22, 2010
Tags: air india, air india express, aircraft landing, airport runway, authorities, bank headquarters, corporate communication manager, deep gorges, flights, indian president, mangalore airport, ravines, rehearsal, rehearsals, venkataraman