President witnesses war game, urges modernisationDecember 5th, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Barmer (Rajasthan), Dec 5 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Monday flew in a military transport helicopter and then rode in a battle tank to witness the Indian Army’s war games in the Rajasthan desert close to the international border with Pakistan.
Later, addressing troops practicing new battle concepts to transform into a “lean and mean” war-fighting machine, Patil, the supreme commander of the armed forces, told the Indian Army to modernise to beat threats from adversaries.
“The country today is faced with multi-dimensional challenges and the army has to measure up to these threats to our national security.
“We need to accordingly equip ourselves with state-of-the-art weaponry and hone our skills through relentless training to deliver the required response to our adversaries when the need arises,” Patil added.
Patil was accompanied by Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Indian Army Chief Gen. V.K. Singh to witness exercise Sudarshan Shakti being conducted by the Pune-based Southern Command.
The exercise is led by the Bhopal-based 21 Strike Corps, one of the army’s three such sword arms.
More than 50,000 troops and over 200 main battle tanks like T-90s, T-72s and the indigenous Arjun, as also infantry combat vehicles, are participating in the exercise, which also features fighter jets, transports and helicopters of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
The army demonstrated its capability to strike at enemy targets in a swift tank battle as MI-35 attack helicopters provided aerial and tactical support to the troops on ground.
Patil initially witnessed the war game from a Mi-17 transport helicopter along with Antony and Singh. She then rode on a T-90 tank.
- Patil first Indian president to ride battle tank - Dec 05, 2011
- President to witness Indian Army exercise - Nov 28, 2011
- Varun Gandhi among MPs at Indian Army exercise - Dec 03, 2011
- Army's summer war game in Punjab ends - Jun 01, 2011
- India to hold massive war game this winter - Jun 10, 2011
- Rahul, Varun among young MPs to witness army exercise - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian Army, air force practice enemy annihilation - May 12, 2011
- India's massive winter war game begins this week - Oct 02, 2011
- Army's desert exercise enters crucial phase - Nov 24, 2011
- Indian Army testing its readiness in Punjab war game - May 04, 2012
- Pakistan war-gaming to counter India's military plan - Jun 05, 2011
- Jointness with army, navy is way forward, says IAF - Oct 08, 2011
- Indian Air Force holds war games in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- Antony asks troops along Pakistan border to defeat any 'misadventure' - May 02, 2011
Tags: army chief, attack helicopters, battle tank, combat vehicles, enemy targets, fighter jets, fighting machine, indian air force, indian army, infantry combat, international border, main battle tanks, military transport, president pratibha patil, rajasthan desert, sudarshan, sword arms, tank battle, transport helicopter, war game