President, vice president mourn death of ManekshawJune 27th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil and Vice President Hamid Ansari Friday mourned the death of Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, former Indian Army chief who crafted India’s decisive victory in the 1971 war with Pakistan. “Field Marshal Manekshaw was a legendary soldier who, as the commander of our Army, played a critical role at a very important and crucial juncture in our history during the 1971 war,” Patil, the supreme commander of the armed forces, said in her condolence message.
“Throughout his long and distinguished career, Field Marshal Manekshaw always led by example and, therefore, was able to inspire his men and get the best out of them.
“In his passing away, the nation has lost a true patriot who shall always remain an inspiration for our Armed Forces as well as for the nation,” Patil said in her message from Indore in Madhya Pradesh where she is currently on a visit.
Ansari, in his message, said the leadership and courage of Manekshaw were evident during the 1971 war.
“As a soldier and field marshal, he will always remain an inspirational figure for the defence forces and every citizen. His services to the country will always be remembered,” Ansari added.
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- President pays tribute to Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw - Jun 27, 2008
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Manekshaw's leadership evident during 1971 war: Ansari - Jun 27, 2008
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Bangladesh to honour 129 foreigners for 1971 - Mar 22, 2012
- India remembers hero of 1947 Pakistan war - Jul 15, 2012
- Omar condoles death of soldiers - Feb 23, 2012
- Pakistan not hostile towards anyone: General Kayani - Jun 09, 2012
- Bangladesh High Commissioner pays tribute to 'Sam' - Jul 01, 2008
- Tourists inspired by Shimla's Army Heritage Museum - Jul 26, 2010
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- Antony pays tribute to Field Marshal Manekshaw - Jun 30, 2008
- Top Govt., military brass miss Field Marshal Manekshaws funeral - Jun 27, 2008