President urges universities to study impact of slowdownMarch 5th, 2009 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, March 5 (IANS) President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil Thursday urged the universities in the country to study the socio-economic impact of the financial crisis that has “altered the dynamics of the global economy”.
“The universities should study the socio-economic impact of the financial downturn both on the wider level and at the ground level,” she said, while addressing the 25th convocation ceremony of the University of Rajasthan here.
“The existing institutions and response mechanism will be tested as we deal with its impact and implications. For this, a collective effort would be required”, Patil added.
According to the president, universities help a nation in achieving economic vitality and scientific prowess, and accelerates social change, besides making it competitive. She emphasised that universities must have out-reach programmes that enable students to interact with local communities and understand their issues.
Emphasising the importance of education for women, Patil said education prepares girls to fulfil their diverse responsibilities in their families as well as in the affairs of the country. She said the focus on woman education was necessary to build informed societies.
Presiding over the function, Rajasthan Governor S.K. Singh called upon the students to come forward and lead the society in this era of globalisation.
“Degrees equip us with knowledge but our skills and capabilities are tested when we step out of the university,” he said.
- President Patil calls for a relook on global financial security - Mar 05, 2009
- President Patil pitches on the need to produce world-class human resource - Dec 10, 2010
- Be disciplined, do social work: Patil tells students - Feb 08, 2012
- Need to reform institutions in tune with times: President - Oct 18, 2011
- Respect brings more happiness than bank balance - Jun 21, 2012
- President calls for reducing litigation costs - Aug 07, 2011
- President Patil for more qualitative, inclusive education system - Jan 08, 2010
- India welcomes democracy in Egypt: President Patil - Feb 21, 2011
- Poor women tend to be edgy after cancer diagnosis - Feb 08, 2010
- Strong hearts help kids secure higher grades - Aug 05, 2012
- Can parent's education affect offspring's mental health? - Jan 29, 2012
- OP Jindal University inks MOU with Mozambique NGO - Nov 09, 2011
- Need to produce innovators, entrepreneurs, says president - Nov 25, 2011
- Intelligence, not status, fast tracks upward mobility - Mar 30, 2012
- Falling church attendance? Blame it on higher life expectancy! - Apr 11, 2011