President rejects CEC suggestion to axe Chawla (Lead)March 1st, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Sunday rejected the recommendation of Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami to remove his colleague Navin Chawla, who is now expected to preside over the coming Lok Sabha polls.
Archana Dutta, officer on special duty in the Rashtrapati Bhawan, said the president had taken the decision “after careful consideration” of various aspects including a report submitted by Gopalaswami seeking Election Commissioner Chawla’s removal on grounds of bias.
“The president, after careful consideration of the report of the CEC, government recommendations, constitutional provisions, Supreme Court judgments, has arrived at a considered opinion and has accepted the recommendation of the government (to reject Gopalaswami’s suggestion),” Dutta told IANS.
Gopalaswami is set to retire in April. Fresh parliamentary elections are expected to take place in April-May.
- Chawla set to be CEC, president refuses to remove him (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2009
- Navin Chawla to be next CEC, president refuses to axe him (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2009
- President rejects CEC plea to sack Chawla - Mar 01, 2009
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
- Naveen Chawla to replace Gopalaswami as CEC - Mar 04, 2009
- President Patil rejects CEC''s recommendation to remove Naveen Chawla - Mar 01, 2009
- CEC Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla digs in (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- Chawla biased, CEC's word enough to remove him: BJP (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla not to quit (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Mercy pleas decided on home minister's advice: President's office - Jun 25, 2012
- Navin Chawla to be next chief election commissioner - Mar 04, 2009
- No regrets for taking on Chawla, says Gopalaswami (Interview) - Apr 20, 2009
- Government 'seized' of CEC plea to sack Chawla: Congress - Jan 31, 2009
- I won't resign, asserts Chawla (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Gopalaswami bids adieu, Navin Chawla to assume charge - Apr 20, 2009