President polls: Congress hopes for Mamata’s supportMay 3rd, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) The Congress is hoping for the support of the Trinamool Congress in the presidential polls when West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee meets party chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh later Thursday.
Banerjee, also the Trinamool Congress chief, arrived here on Wednesday for talks with the UPA top leadership, during which the presidential elections will figure prominently.
“We are hoping for Trinamool’s support,” Congress sources said Thursday.
“I’m sure when Mamata meets the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi, there will be convergence,” Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath told reporters here Wednesday, indicating that Banerjee will back the UPA’s choice of the presidential candidate.
Banerjee is understood to have conveyed to Nath that that it was up to Sonia Gandhi, the UPA chairperson, to decide on the coalition’s candidate.
In her meeting with Manmohan Singh, Banerjee is expected to discuss the issue of a three-year moratorium on annaul interest payable on outstanding loans taken by her state. Reliable sources said that her stand on the presidential polls will depend on whether she manages to win a moratorium for the debt-ridden state.
The Congress is pitching for Vice President Hamid Ansari and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as probable UPA choices for the July presidential polls. The BJP has ruled out support for any of them.
The UPA has over 40 percent of the total votes in the electoral college while the NDA has less than 30 percent.
The Trinamool Congress has 48,000 votes - the highest among the Congress allies.
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- No link between president poll, financial package: Mamata - Jun 13, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is Congress's first choice for president (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- PM calls Mamata to seek support for Ansari - Jul 15, 2012
- No differences in UPA on presidential choice: Congress - Jun 12, 2012
- Countdown to Mamata's dramatic announcement - Jun 13, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Trinamool, SP, BSP leaders attend Sonia's lunch - Jul 18, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Sibal meets Mamata to seek support for Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Presidential polls: Mamata tightlipped - May 02, 2012
- Would desperate Mamata be able to save face in another battle? (West Bengal newsletter) - Jul 14, 2012
- Sonia's lunch presents picture of UPA unity (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: bjp, chief minister, development minister, finance minister, hamid ansari, kamal nath, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, moratorium, party chief, pranab mukherjee, presidential elections, presidential polls, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reliable sources, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress chief, west bengal