President, PM hope New Year brings peaceDecember 31st, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 31 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday greeted the nation on the eve of the New Year and hoped that the year ahead would bring peace and prosperity.In her message, Pratibha Patil said: “As the New Year dawns, let us pledge to make the coming year, a year of peace, amity and happiness.”
“We must dedicate ourselves towards spreading the message of peace and harmony in order to help humanity emerge triumphant over the challenges posed by divisive and destructive forces present in society,” a statement from the president’s house said.
Greeting the people on the joyous occasion of the New Year, the vice president said the dawn of the new year is always welcomed with renewed hope, which can only be fulfilled by working together with resolve and dedication.
“Several challenges facing the country including poverty, illiteracy, ill health, unemployment and terrorism should be addressed on a priority basis with the cooperation of every citizen so that the nation takes its rightful place in the comity of nations,” Ansari said.
”Let us take a pledge on the eve of the New Year to strive towards building a strong, united, peaceful and prosperous India,” he added.
The prime minister hoped that the year 2009 will bring with it a better future for everyone.
Manmohan Singh wished that the New Year will bring peace and prosperity to the world.
“The beginning of the New Year is the time to firm up our resolve to work for the development of our country and for the well-being of our countrymen,” he said.
- President, Vice President greet nation on New Year's eve (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Dispel cynicism, believe in resilience of democracy: PM's New Year message (Second Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Oct 25, 2011
- President greets the nation for New Year - Dec 31, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Janmashtami - Aug 09, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Parsi New Year - Aug 18, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on the eve of New Year (Lead) - Dec 31, 2009
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Patil, Ansari greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' - Jan 13, 2012
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Vishu, Rongali Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- President, Vice President greet citizens on occasion of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Vice President, Prime Minister greet people on New Year - Dec 31, 2008
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Nov 04, 2010