President Patil reviews naval fleetDecember 20th, 2011 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 20 (IANS) Reviewing the fleet of 81 ships and 44 aircraft as part of the 10th Presidential Fleet Review, President Pratibha Patil sailed on board INS Subhadra Tuesday.
Patil was accompanied by Defence Minister A.K. Antony, the three service chiefs and four cabinet ministers on board the off-shore patrol vessel, guarded by the elite marine commandos.
The review began with the guard of honour by 150 men and a 21-gun salute to the president who is the Supreme Commander of Inian armed forces.
Sailing between the rows of ships, Patil first reviewed the INS Agray - an anti-submarine patrol vessel. The sailors on board took off their caps and hailed their Supreme Commander with shouts of ‘Rashtrapati ki Jai’. Patil responded with a salute to each of the ships she reviewed.
The 81 warships displayed included the country’s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat, Shivalik and Talwar class frigates, kilo-class submarines and 10 vessels of the Coast Guard.
The fleet review also saw participation of three merchant vessels, Sea Cadet Corps and 44 aircraft, including the Navy’s latest acquisition, the MiG 29K, which was part of the fly-past.
As the Supreme Commander of India’s armed forces, Patil had earlier flown in a Sukhoi fighter jet and rode a battle tank of the army.
Highest level of security arrangements by the navy was put in place to secure the sea for the event.
Each ship participating in the review is being guarded by its own security detail apart from the anti-missile batteries activated by the navy to tackle any threat.
All maritime traffic in the sea was halted until after the review and the Mumbai Police set traffic diversions en route the roads leading to the naval dockyard here in south Mumbai.
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- President to review Indian Navy fleet next month - Nov 22, 2011
- Indian Navy intercepts foreign ship fleeing Mumbai - Nov 23, 2010
- President to review Indian Navy fleet December 20 - Jun 07, 2011
- Indian Navy's 21st century needs will be met: President (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- Russian Navy to receive 10 diesel submarines by 2020 - Nov 22, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- President Patil addresses sailors on board INS Viraat (Lead) - Dec 23, 2009
- British woman becomes first warship commander - May 22, 2012
- Surveillance on suspected pirate-manned dhows - Oct 01, 2011
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- President Patil's first 'day at sea' on board INS Viraat - Dec 23, 2009
- British n-sub in India for naval war game - Oct 07, 2011
- Two Coast Guard stations established in Arabian Sea to safeguard India's interest - Dec 24, 2010