President Obama to make first foray abroad to Canada Thursday (Lead)February 18th, 2009 - 1:07 pm ICT by IANS
Ottawa, Feb 18 (IANS) US President Barack Obama will make his first foray abroad after his inauguration with a whirlwind visit Thursday to Canada, his country’s biggest trading partner.
During his six-hour stay in the Canadian capital, Obama will meet Prime Minister Stephen Harper, opposition leader Michael Ignatieff and other leaders.
Though it will be a customary visit by the US president to its closest ally, the two leaders will discuss the gamut of issues that will include trade, global meltdown, Afghanistan and the environment.
Obama enjoys huge support among Canadians but his decision to include the “Buy America” clause in his stimulus package to revive the economy has created fears of protectionism here.
The president is likely to address this issue during his talks with the prime minister as more than 80 percent of Canadian exports end up in the US. The annual two-way trade between the two countries is pegged above $600 billion.
The Canadians are also apprehensive about Obama’s plans for cutting down greenhouse emission. Since much of Canadian oil comes from greenhouse-emitting oil sands, they fear stringent greenhouse standards by the Obama administration could hamper their key economic activity.
As of today, Canada is the biggest energy supplier to the US. But environmental groups say the Canadian oil industry is a big contributor to greenhouse gases.
Also, although the Canadians have decided to pull out of Afghanistan by December 2011, Obama may pressurise Harper to reconsider the deadline.
Massive security arrangements have been made for the president’s brief visit. Obama’s limousine “The Beast” is being flown for his travel. Fitted with 13-inch heavy armour, run-flat tires, bullet-proof glass and a completely sealed interior to safeguard against any biological or chemical attack, the presidential limousine will have many look-alike vehicles for security reasons.
Canada’s first black governor general Michaelle Jean will receive Obama at Ottawa airport on his arrival. Before he leaves for Washington, Obama will address a press conference with Harper.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Obama's whirlwind visit to Canada Thursday - Feb 18, 2009
- Canada to strengthen strategic ties with China - Jan 12, 2012
- During Canada visit, Obama allays fears of trade protectionism - Feb 20, 2009
- Obama proposal for entry fee on Canadians creates uproar - Feb 18, 2011
- Obama in Canada for day-long 'working visit' - Feb 19, 2009
- Canadian PM heads to China - Feb 07, 2012
- US, Canada unveil new measures to facilitate trade - Dec 08, 2011
- Obama wraps up first foreign visit to Canada - Feb 20, 2009
- Obama to visit Canada Feb 19 - Jan 29, 2009
- Canadian PM urges G20 Summit to restore market confidence - Oct 19, 2011
- Chinese president, Canadian PM discuss strategic ties - Sep 09, 2012
- Stephen Harper Government in Canada falls after no-confidence vote - Mar 26, 2011
- Former fighter pilot named Canadian military chief - Aug 28, 2012
- Asymmetrical US-Canada ties because of `Robin Vs Batman' perception: US diplomats - Dec 02, 2010
- Canada cautions against complacency after Osama death - May 03, 2011