President lays stone for model railway station in hometownSeptember 7th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Amravati (Maharashtra), Sep 7 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Sunday laid the foundation stone for a model railway station here even as Railways Minister Lalu Prasad flagged off an Amravati-Mumbai super-fast train.Lalu Prasad announced two more trains from the town - to Nagpur and Surat in Gujarat.
He also announced the decision to set up a divisional railway office in Amravati to be housed in the model railway station building. This will be the sixth divisional railway office in Maharashtra after the five in Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Solapur and Bhusawal.
Kerala Governor R.S. Gavai, who belongs to Amravati, was present besides district guardian minister Sunil Deshmukh, Patil’s husband Devisingh Shekhawat, Amravati MP Anant Geete and Railway Board chairman K.C. Jena.
The president later left for Nagpur by an Indian Air Force helicopter to return to Delhi.
While the Amravati-Mumbai train will leave the city at 5.25 p.m. every Sunday and Tuesday to reach the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Mumbai at 5.35 a.m. the next day, the Monday-to-Friday Amravati-Nagpur Intercity Express, slated to start Monday, will leave Amravati at 5.15 a.m. to reach its destination three hours and 20 minutes later.
The super-fast train will run between Mumbai and Amravati on Saturdays and Mondays (8.05 p.m. - 8.15 a.m.) while the Intercity will leave Nagpur at 5.25 p.m. on the first five days of the week.
The schedule for Amravati-Surat train is yet to be announced.
- Three killed in Maharashtra highway landslide - Jun 20, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Pratibha Patil to undertake a two-day visit to Vidarbha from today - Sep 06, 2008
- President Patil to flag off train in Maharashtra town - Sep 05, 2008
- Railway's superfast double decker train from Saturday - Sep 30, 2011
- Rail link partially restored, probe starts - Aug 01, 2011
- 57 new trains introduced - Jul 03, 2009
- Finally, Amritsar-Chandigarh Duranto train is flagged off - Aug 24, 2011
- Railways to set up museum in memory of 26/11 victims - Nov 21, 2009
- Shirdi now connected to Mumbai by rail (With Image) - Aug 27, 2010
- List of 43 new trains announced in rail budget - Feb 13, 2009
- India's first superfast double-decker train flagged off - Oct 01, 2011
- 43 new trains introduced in Interim Railway Budget 2009-10 - Feb 13, 2009
- Train crash kills at least 19, injures hundreds in central Bangladesh - Dec 08, 2010
- Derailment toll goes up to two, services partly restored - Aug 02, 2011