President lauds social reformer Maharishi Karve on 150th birth anniversaryJuly 5th, 2008 - 12:56 am ICT by IANS
Pune, July 4 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Friday lauded the services of social reformer Maharshi Dhondo Karve, saying he was “responsible for empowering women through education”. She was speaking at the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Karve, who promoted the first women’s university in India, the 112-year-old Maharshi Karve Stree Shikshan Samatha (MKSSS). Patil arrived here Friday on a two-day visit to the city.
“It gives me immense pleasure to be part of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Maharshi Karve, who is responsible for the change in the status of women through education and empowerment,” said Patil.
The president appealed to the girl students intently listening to her to keep up the good work that Karve started more than a century a ago.
“When a man is educated only an individual benefits, but when a women is educated the whole family benefits from this,” Patil maintained.
The president said because of Karve and other reformers like him, Indian women had reached great heights in all fields.
“Men and women are like two wheels of a vehicle. You have to strengthen both and only then can you have a safe ride,” the president contended.
Maharashtra Governor S.C. Jamir, Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, Water Resource & Irrigation Minister Ajit Pawar, and MKSSS chairman Vishwas Deval were among those who attended the function.
- President to visit women's first education institute (Lead with corrections) - Jul 03, 2008
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- President to visit India's first women's education institute - Jul 03, 2008
- Sai Baba's birth anniversary celebrations begin - Nov 18, 2011
- Ravi Shankar conferred first Tagore cultural harmony award - May 07, 2012
- Bangladesh presents Tagore memorabilia to Bengal universities - Sep 12, 2012
- Bhujbal trust's building to be probed - Apr 06, 2012
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Dec 27, 2011
- President Patil greets nation on Guru Ravidas Jayanti - Feb 17, 2011
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Nation observing 100th International Women's Day - Mar 08, 2010
- President heads to Switzerland Friday, to unveil Tagore bust - Sep 28, 2011
- Manmohan Singh on role of Comptroller and Auditor General organisation - Nov 17, 2010
- Get glimpses of Tagore family fashion, art - May 04, 2011
- Need to reform institutions in tune with times: President - Oct 18, 2011