President expresses concern over increasing ragging in collegesApril 14th, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) Concerned over rising incidents of ragging in educational institutions in the country, President Pratibha Patil Tuesday called upon authorities to take special efforts to prevent students from indulging in such acts.
“It is unfortunate that there were several instances where the practice of ragging has escalated to the level of torture amounting to a crime. Such irresponsible behaviour would cause serious apprehensions in the minds of new entrants and their parents,” an official release cited Patil as saying.
Patil urged students, especially senior students in institutes of higher learning to be more responsible in their dealings with juniors.
“Universities and colleges are centres of learning and for developing mutual respect, friendship and understanding. Their sanctity cannot be vitiated year after year at the start of an academic session by those who indulge in mindless ragging,” she said.
Patil also asked the state governments, university and college authorities to be vigilant and strict towards offenders and to take special efforts to prevent students resorting to such acts.
“The state governments may also consider appropriate legislation to tackle this menace in the college and university premises in order to provide credible deterrence,” Patil said.
Three gruesome incidents of ragging have been reported in the country recently. A 20-year-old management student was left partially blinded after he was allegedly ragged by his seniors in Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. In another incident, a medical student died in Himachal Pradesh after being ragged while a girl student attempted suicide in Andhra Pradesh after ragging by seniors.
- Senior students should act responsibly: Pratibha Patil - Apr 14, 2009
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Varsities will be sensitised to ragging laws: President Patil - May 03, 2009
- Sibal launches anti-ragging portal - Jul 26, 2012
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
- Seniors shoot at junior for protesting ragging - Aug 30, 2011
- Day one at DU: New students get a feel of campus - Jul 23, 2012
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Women police, CCTV to prevent ragging on campus - Jul 19, 2010
- Delhi University gets ready to curb ragging - Jul 20, 2012
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- Aman Kachru ragging case: Court to pronounce verdict Nov 11 - Oct 30, 2010