President declares assets worth Rs.2.5 croreJuly 25th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) A farmhouse and gold jewellery worth Rs.31 lakh are listed among Rs.2.5 crore worth of assets of President Pratibha Patil, the first Indian head of state to make the information public.
After a Right To Information (RTI) query, Patil — the country’s first woman president — gave a detailed statement of the immovable and movable assets she held till March 31 this year.
Any common citizen can access the information on presidentofindia.nic.in/assets.html. It was uploaded July 15, official sources say.
The list of assets put up on the president’s website mentions a house, a farmhouse in Amravati, Maharashtra, and agricultural plots.
In movable assets, she has listed market investments and her bank balance.
She has 1,750 gm of gold jewellery worth Rs.3,106,250 and 1,350 gm of silver articles and utensils worth Rs.69,134.
The president’s decision comes after an RTI query filed by Subhash Chandra Agrawal, an RTI activist, seeking details of assets owned by the president and her family members and steps taken to place them on the website.
The Chief Information Commission (CIC) said: “The Commission cannot pass any direction in this regard, as it (president’s office) does not come within the Commission’s powers as mandated under the RTI Act.”
But the president’s secretariat, in reply to Agrawal’s RTI plea, said: “Yes, the details of wealth and assets of president of India have (been) made public by putting it on the website.”
Agrawal hailed the president for doing so.
“The president voluntarily putting the details of her property in public domain is welcome. Hope this will be followed by others too,” Agrawal told IANS.
When Agrawal asked if the practice of declaring assets online would be followed by other presidents too, Patil’s secretariat replied: “It is for the next president to decide.”
- President should make public her assets: RTI activist - Jun 17, 2011
- Indian ministers grow richer with average assets of Rs.10 crore - Sep 15, 2011
- Parliament not to publish members' assets details online - May 08, 2011
- Mayawati added Rs.23.64 crore to her wealth in two years - Mar 13, 2012
- RTI queries on Balakrishnan's assets pile up - May 02, 2011
- Keep central record of ministers' air travel: CIC - Apr 01, 2011
- Trinamool's Amit Mitra, wife worth Rs.7 crore - Apr 07, 2011
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- Buddhadeb has no house, vehicle, just Rs.5,000 cash - Apr 05, 2011
- Can't give details of illegal assets cases: CBI - Jun 19, 2011
- Sitting, former MP owe MTNL over Rs.9 crore - Nov 22, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief, wife file nominations for same seat - Mar 28, 2011
- 70 Lok Sabha MPs yet to reveal assets - Apr 17, 2010
- Details of Mamata's travel as union minister to be shared - Jun 22, 2011
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan discloses assets in state assembly - Feb 23, 2010
Tags: agrawal, agricultural plots, bank balance, cic, farmhouse, first woman, gold jewellery, head of state, information commission, information public, lakh, market investments, movable assets, president of india, president pratibha patil, rti act, silver articles, subhash chandra, welcome hope, woman president