President contributes Rs.15,000 for the elderlyMay 10th, 2012 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Thursday contributed Rs.15,000 to a group of workers protesting in the national capital for a universal pension scheme for the elderly and promised to talk to the government to address their demands.
Pension Parishad, which is spearheading the campaign, received the president’s personal contribution on the fourth day of its five-day protest.
“She also told us that she would speak to the government about our demands,” a Pension Parishad statement said.
The group claimed that several parliamentarians, including Supriya Sule of the Nationalist Congress Party and Sanjay Nirupam of the Congress, supported their demands. The parishad has also received support from the ‘Right to Food Campaign’.
Nearly 3,000 people from 22 states started a five-day dharna at Jantar Mantar in the capital Monday demanding universal pension for the elderly.
Supporting the demand, key campaigners Aruna Roy and Baba Adhav had said that the demand for universal pension was something no political party could afford to neglect.
- Elderly stage dharna demanding universal pension - May 07, 2012
- Parishad urges Ramesh for universal pension - Aug 30, 2012
- Civil society demands universal pension for elderly - May 04, 2012
- Workers from unorganized sector protest for pension - May 05, 2012
- Orderly Anna supporters impress cops, vendors - Apr 09, 2011
- Team Anna begins indefinite fast for a stringent Lokpal (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Anna fever returns to Delhi - Mar 25, 2012
- Hazare begins fast, demands passage of Jan Lokpal bill (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Hazare puts conditions for Ramdev to join fast - Jun 27, 2011
- Sonia assures help to pension activists - May 21, 2012
- Pension of Rs.200 an insult to dignity, says Jairam - May 20, 2012
- Hazare to fast to protest crackdown against Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Jantar Mantar: The epicentre of India's crusades - Apr 08, 2011
- Hazare agitation eclipses other protests at Jantar Mantar - Dec 11, 2011
- Hazare supporters march, beat plates with spoons - Apr 08, 2011