President condoles Sonu’s death, seeks safety guidelinesOctober 13th, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Condoling the tragic death of two-year-old Sonu, trapped in a 150-foot deep pit for four days and brought out dead Monday, President Pratibha Patil issued advisories to various ministries to come out with safety guidelines.Taking a note of the tragedy and other similar incidents in the past, Rashtrapati Bhavan issued advisories to the ministries of rural development, urban development, water resources and home to prescribe necessary safety standards.
The advisories also specified that safety precautions should also be taken while digging borewells and instructions should be accordingly given for their strict compliance, said a statement issued here.
“The president has expressed deep anguish over the frequencies of such mishaps,” it said.
Sonu’s body was recovered by rescue workers Monday, more than 96 hours after he fell into an open bore well while playing near his home in a village near Agra Thursday.
Earlier this year, a small boy, Suraj, died after falling into the shaft of an open and unguarded bore well in Jaipur. In July 2006, a boy named Prince fell into a deep well in Kurukshetra, but was saved.
Advesh of Jhansi and Sarika of Bikaner died in January in similar accidents.
- Other incidents of toddlers being rescued - Jun 23, 2012
- NGO asks child rights body to take action on bore well deaths - Oct 13, 2008
- Court asks states to cap discarded borewells - Nov 27, 2009
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Six people responsible for Mahi's death, says inquiry - Sep 21, 2012
- After 86 long hours, Mahi is dead (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Efforts fail to rescue toddler from Andhra borewell (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Three-year-old rescued from borewell in Gurdaspur, dies in hospital - Jun 03, 2010
- District magistrates should ensure borewells are capped: court - Feb 11, 2010
- Mahi is dead; end came on first or second day, doctors say (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Two-year-old toddler falls into borewell in Andhra - Jan 18, 2010
- Six-year-old falls into borewell - Mar 17, 2010
- Notice to village head in Mahi's death in borewell - Jun 26, 2012
- Child rights panel seeks report on abandoned borewells - Jun 24, 2012
- Toddler dies after falling into borewell - May 20, 2011