President Bush arrives in Britain on farewell visitJune 15th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 15 (DPA) US President George W. Bush, making his farewell tour of Europe, arrived Sunday at London Heathrow airport for a visit and talks with British leaders. Earlier, Scotland Yard reported that very tight security measures were being put in place for his visit, with thousands of officers on duty as anti-war protests are expected before parliament as well as Windsor Castle, where Bush and his wife Barbara are due to have “afternoon tea” with Queen Elizabeth II.
The US president is to later have dinner with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his wife Sarah.
Bush is to have political talks with Brown Monday. In addition to the Iraq war, the world economy including oil and food prices are to be topics of discussion.
After meeting with Brown, Bush is expected to meet former premier and current special envoy to the Middle East, Tony Blair.
Bush along with Brown is also expected in Belfast, North Ireland, where the two will meet with North Irish First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness.
The Bush visit is the US politician’s first to Britain since Brown became prime minister.
The White House leader is wrapping up a week-long tour of Europe which began June 9 in Slovenia to attend the US-European Union summit, followed by visits to Germany, Italy and France.
- UK political couple in trouble over 'gift' to teenage lover - Jan 08, 2010
- British election leaves all options open (Roundup) - May 07, 2010
- It's now Slovenia calling Bollywood! (With Images) - Sep 21, 2012
- US President Obama makes world stage debut at G20 - Apr 01, 2009
- Queen Elizabeth hosts diamond jubilee lunch - May 20, 2012
- President Obama to meet Irish Prime Minister Cowen in March - Feb 06, 2010
- Brown announces May 6 general elections - Apr 06, 2010
- 'Waterboarding' of terror suspects warded off attacks on Britain, claims Bush - Nov 09, 2010
- We have a missile crisis, Mrs Obama - Oct 15, 2011
- Tricolour flies in Windsor for Pratibha Patil - Oct 27, 2009
- US, Poland sign missile shield amendment deal - Jul 03, 2010
- Queen gives green light for beer festival at Windsor Castle - Jul 02, 2010
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
- Slovenia invites Indian investments and tourists - Dec 27, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012