Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead)July 23rd, 2011 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 23 (IANS) The Presidency University mentor group Saturday met West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and hinted at the need to form a search committee to bring in world class faculty for the revival of the institution - born out of Presidency College here.
“Today briefed the chief minister regarding the suggestions that we will make. We have decided to suggest the formation of a search committee for bringing in the world class faculty,” said Presidency Mentor group chairman Sugato Bose.
Bose said the group would submit its first report in August.
Banerjee assured us that the government would act on the report promptly, Bose said.
Nobel laureate economist Amartya Sen is the adviser to mentor group chairman Bose, a grand-nephew of freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
Established in 1817 as Hindu College, the institution cradled the 19th century Bengal Renaissance and was christened Presidency College in 1855. It was last year upgraded as a university.
The college’s alumni include Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, Swami Vivekananda, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Satyajit Ray, Marxist leader Jyoti Basu and scientist Satyendranath Bose.
India’s first president Rajendra Prasad and former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee also studied in the college.
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- Netaji's grand nephew to help revive Presidency - Jun 06, 2011
- Presidency University tagged innovation hub - Nov 29, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Presidency University in Kolkata - Oct 29, 2010
- Amita Chattopadhyay joins as first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Nov 01, 2010
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata's famous Presidency University - Oct 29, 2010
- Mamata, Amartya Sen discuss Presidency's future - Jul 09, 2011
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- Amita Chattopadhyay first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Oct 06, 2010
- Amartya Sen welcomes Mamata's move on Presidency varsity - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: chief minister, first president, freedom fighter, grand nephew, group chairman, hindu college, marxist leader, mentor group, netaji subhas chandra bose, nobel laureate economist, presidency college, rabindranath tagore, rajendra prasad, satyajit ray, search committee, subhas chandra bose, swami, university mentor, west bengal, world class faculty