Presidency University tagged innovation hubNovember 29th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 29 (IANS) The city’s prestigious Presidency University has been declared the first Cluster Innovation Centre in eastern India by the central government, an official said here Tuesday.
“Presidency has been declared the Cluster Innovation Centre, the first in eastern India. This is a development to be proud of,” the varsity’s vice-chancellor Malabika Sarkar said.
She said it would help the university in achieving a synergy of research, academics and industry.
The National Innovation Council has envisaged Cluster Innovation Centres (CIC) as focal points to promote innovation in and around the university system.
These innovation centres are expected to function as independent bodies inside the university and facilitate collaborations between various stakeholders to create new knowledge, products, and processes.
At least 20 CICs are to be set up across the country.
Presidency University has its roots in the Hindu College - established in 1817 - the institution that cradled the 19th century Bengal Renaissance and was christened Presidency College in 1855.
It was last year upgraded as a university.
The college’s alumni include Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, Swami Vivekananda, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, Satyajit Ray, Marxist leader Jyoti Basu and scientist Satyendranath Bose.
India’s first president Rajendra Prasad and former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee also studied in the college.
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- Fire breaks out at Presidency University in Kolkata - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- Amita Chattopadhyay joins as first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Nov 01, 2010
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata's famous Presidency University - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Amita Chattopadhyay first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Oct 06, 2010
- Netaji's grand nephew to help revive Presidency - Jun 06, 2011
- Presidency College all set to become university - Dec 02, 2009
- Bill upgrading Presidency College to university passed - Mar 19, 2010
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
Tags: cics, eastern india, hindu college, independent bodies, innovation centre, innovation centres, innovation council, knowledge products, marxist leader, national innovation, netaji subhas chandra bose, nobel laureate, presidency college, rabindranath tagore, rajendra prasad, research academics, satyajit ray, subhas chandra bose, vice chancellor, west bengal