Preparations begin for lunar mission countdownOctober 19th, 2008 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 19 (IANS) Preparations for the countdown to launch India’s first unmanned lunar spacecraft Chandrayaan-1 Oct 22 has begun at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, a top space agency official said here Sunday.”Launch rehearsal exercises are nearing completion. Preparations for the 52-hour countdown Monday from 02:20 a.m. have been initiated despite inclement weather and heavy rain since morning at Sriharikota (about 80km from Chennai) off the Bay of Bengal,” Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) director S. Satish told IANS.
A team of experts from various ISRO centres are working at the mission control centre and the launch pad for the actual countdown, even as hundreds of scientists and technicians carry out mandatory checks of the 316-tonne Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C1 and the 1,380-kg spacecraft atop, with 11 scientific payloads for a smooth launch on schedule.
“We are hoping for a fair weather over the next two-three days for the 06:21 a.m. Wednesday launch. Cloudy sky or normal rain will not come in the way of the launch. Our met (meteorology) department is monitoring the weather data as the northeast monsoon is due later next week,” Satish said.
Barring a cyclonic storm or lightning, inclement weather will not hold up the launch schedule as the rockets soars into space within minutes after lift-off.
Four massive towers around the launch pad are equipped with specific gadgets to deflect lightning (if any) and protect the PSLV or the spacecraft from high-speed winds.
The fully integrated launch vehicle was moved to the launch platform from the vehicle assembly building late Friday for installation and rehearsals.
- India to launch communication satellite July 15 - Jun 30, 2011
- India to launch advanced remote sensing satellite April 20 - Apr 09, 2011
- New ISRO centre to control spy satellite launch - Apr 09, 2012
- India's remote sensing satellite set for launch - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- First rehearsal of moon mission Chandrayaan goes off fine - Oct 19, 2008
- ISRO gears up for Dec 25 GSAT launch - Dec 23, 2010
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- India to launch next communication satellite in July - Jun 01, 2011
- India to launch advanced communication satellite Dec 20 - Dec 13, 2010
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Indian rocket set for blast-off - Jul 15, 2011
- Indian rocket launch countdown makes smooth progress - Oct 11, 2011
- Chandrayaan moved to launch platform for rehearsal - Oct 18, 2008
- Countdown begins for 100th Indian rocket mission - Sep 07, 2012