Pregnant women with high blood pressure risk future complicationsJanuary 30th, 2009 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 30 (IANS) Healthy women who experience high blood pressure during pregnancy risk future complications like chronic hypertension, diabetes and blood clots, according to a new study. The findings show that women who have had two pregnancies complicated by pre-eclampsia are at an even higher risk of hypertension after pregnancy.
The investigators conducted a retrospective study of over 11 million women who gave birth in Denmark from 1978 to 2007. Of those women with pre-eclampsia, a complication of pregnancy linked to life-threatening cardiovascular disease, the risks of subsequent hypertension risks were compounded with each affected pregnancy.
“The only reliable treatment for pre-eclampsia is delivery of the baby,” said senior author Michael J. Paidas, associate professor in obstetrics, gynaecology and reproductive sciences at Yale University School of Medicine.
“But while delivery may ‘cure’ pre-eclampsia in (sic) the moment, these mothers are at high risk of chronic hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus and blood clots for the rest of their lives.”
Paidas said the research adds to growing data on the link between hypertensive pregnancy disorders and subsequent death and ischemic heart disease, said a Yale release.
Paidas and his team are conducting ongoing studies to explore the genetic links between pregnancy complications, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
These findings were presented in an abstract at the Society for Maternal Foetal Medicine Scientific meetings in San Diego, California, by co-author Jacob Alexander Lykke, University of Copenhagen.
- High BP during pregnancy ups hypertension, diabetes risk in later life - Jan 30, 2009
- Urine test can predict fatal condition in pregnant women - Nov 13, 2011
- Bariatric surgery 'cuts risk of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy' - Apr 14, 2010
- Life-saving test developed for pregnant women - Dec 24, 2010
- Daily dose of aspirin 'could help pregnant women' - Aug 25, 2010
- Novel approach offers new insights into causes of pre-eclampsia - Oct 07, 2010
- Early urinary protein test during pregnancy predicts later pre-eclampsia - Nov 25, 2010
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Vitamin C supplements don't reduce BP risk in pregnant woman - Apr 08, 2010
- Clue to early diagnosis of pregnancy-related disease - May 16, 2012
- Soon, simple blood test to predict preeclampsia in early pregnancy - Sep 14, 2010
- How to cut the risks in multiple pregnancies - Oct 09, 2010
- Simple urine test to diagnose preeclampsia - Feb 05, 2010
- Eating chocolate halves life-threatening risks during pregnancy - Jul 09, 2010
- Vitamin C and E supplements don't cut risk for BP disorders of pregnancy - Apr 08, 2010