Pre-marital counselling centre launched in DelhiJuly 28th, 2008 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Aiming to “spread happiness”, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Monday launched pre-marital counselling cell of the Delhi Commission for Women. “It is often said that marriages are made in heaven. However, we choose to break them up by our own follies. Temperamental differences and intolerance are major causes of divorce,” she said.
Dikshit also flagged off a mobile van of the DCW, which would provide counselling at the doorstep of the needy and distressed women.
“As many as 136,000 weddings are registered in the capital every year but 10,000 couples file for divorce every year. Ten cases on an average are filed in one court every day,” she added.
“Reasons cited in divorce petitions include refusal to stay with in-laws, the issue of household chores… These reasons may appear ridiculous, but once the couple is intent on quitting the relationship, then no amount of counselling can help. The ultimate counsellor is yourself,” she said.
Dikshit hoped that setting up of the pre-marital counselling cell would help to counsel the pre-nuptial couples on various issues related to marriage.
The parents of both parties would also be counselled on being supportive of the newly wedded couple by positively guiding them and helping them in adjusting to the newly changed life situations.
“The main idea behind starting the cell is to spread happiness,” Dikshit said.
Actress and Rajya Sabha MP Shabana Azmi, DCW chairperson Barkha Singh, Delhi Public School (RK Puram) principal Shyama Chona, DCW member secretary P.M. Singh and members of various NGOs were also present on the occasion.
Azmi congratulated the Delhi government for setting up the cell, which will provide counselling for those couples, who are going to begin their new lives.
- Pope Benedict XVI Says Not Everyone Has Right To Marry - Jan 23, 2011
- Robbie Williams, Ayda Field sign pre-nuptial agreement - Aug 07, 2010
- 70 percent Chinese have pre-marital sex: Study - Apr 10, 2012
- Holmes to get $15 mn from Cruise? - Jul 01, 2012
- Couples seeking divorces for falling out of love - Aug 31, 2011
- Wiil-Kat 'did not sign a prenup agreement' - May 02, 2011
- Charlie Sheen Shells Out Money To Maintain Marriage With Brooke Mueller - May 06, 2010
- Pre-marital sex more common among rural youths: Study - Feb 20, 2010
- Russell Brand to walk away with $20 million after his divorce with Katy Perry - Jan 03, 2012
- Spicing up sex life to save marriage - with state help - Nov 02, 2009
- Couple seeks protection of Delhi women's rights panel - Jun 26, 2010
- Spicing up sex lives is Malay state's mantra to halt divorce epidemic! - Nov 02, 2009
- DCW meets CM, offers to rehabilitate baby Falak - Jan 29, 2012
- On the rise: Divorces under 25 - Dec 29, 2011
- Men avoiding premarital counselling more likely to have problem-free sex lives - Aug 07, 2009