Prayers in Punjab for Manmohan Singh, n-dealJuly 20th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 20 (IANS) Prayers are being organized at various places in Punjab to seek divine intervention to save the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Most of the prayers are being organized privately by individuals, political leaders and local organizations. The prayers, involving Sikh and Hindu priests, are being conducted to seek that the UPA government survives Tuesday’s trust vote in the Lok Sabha.
Prayers have been organized in Chandigarh, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar and some other places.
“We organized an ‘ardas’ (prayer) for the survival of the Manmohan Singh government and the passing of the nuclear deal,” Akali Dal (1920) party leader and former Punjab assembly speaker Ravi Inder Singh said. The prayer was organised at a local gurudwara (Sikh temple) here.
“The issue about the nuclear deal should be decided by the people of this country and not by just 541 MPs in Delhi,” Singh said.
One prayer session was organized by former Congress MP Umrao Singh in Jalandhar city Saturday and Sunday.
The prime minister hails from Punjab’s Amritsar city, where his family settled after India’s Partition in 1947.
- Prime Minister's birthday marked with prayers, sweets distribution in Amritsar - Sep 26, 2010
- Sikh community offers final prayers for two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2010
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18 - Jul 28, 2011
- Panjab University to host its pre-1970 alumni, including PM - Dec 03, 2010
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
- PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Man posing as Punjab chief minister's aide nabbed - Feb 09, 2011
- Akalis, SGPC offer prayers, seek justice for riot victims - Nov 08, 2009
- Shutdown affects life in Punjab (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Finally, Amritsar-Chandigarh Duranto train is flagged off - Aug 24, 2011
- PM to begin New Year with prayers at Golden Temple - Dec 31, 2011
- Punjab shutdown affects life but peaceful (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012