Prayers, festivity in Pranab’s villageJuly 22nd, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mirati (West Bengal), July 22 (IANS) A festive spirit prevailed in Pranab Mukherjee’s ancestral village here Sunday, with many praising the local boy set to become India’s next president.
Mirati in West Bengal’s Birbhum district came alive since early in the day. People gathered near Mukherjee’s house watching news of the vote count on TV channels.
Some beat drums, carried big cut-outs of Mukherjee and danced in joy. Local poets sang their compositions hailing Mukherjee. Some people offered special prayers.
There was jubilation when news came that Mukherjee had won an overwhelming majority of the votes from Andhra Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh.
Immediately, the villagers smeared each other with green ‘gulal’ and shouted “Praanb Mukherjee zindabad!”
“We want to him to come to the village and seek blessings from goddess Durga, the family’s guardian deity,’ said a villager who addressed the to be president as Kakababu (uncle).
“I have seen him from his childhood. He has been like a father figure for me,” he said.
A family member recalled how Mukherjee, who comes to the village every year during Durga Puja to don the priest’s robe, always ensured that all guests were offered ‘prasad’.
“Be it the people of his constituency Jangipur or from Kolkata, he always plays the perfect host.”
“I prayed for his long life and good health,” added a priest.
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
- Pranab's hometown rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' - Jun 23, 2012
- We will celebrate on July 25: Pranab's daughter - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab takes time out from busy schedule for Durga Puja - Oct 14, 2010
- Pranab's Mirati rolls out red carpet for its 'Poltu' (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Government's No.2 is Nation's No.1 (Profile) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab Unplugged: Nuggests about India's new president - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab appeals to undecided parties to support him (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Big Bengal presence at Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab receives tumultuous welcome on arrival in Kolkata - Jun 22, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee: Politician nonpareil becomes constitutional guardian (Profile) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee's son tipped to contest in West Bengal - Nov 18, 2010
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: ancestral village, birbhum district, constituency, cut outs, durga puja, father figure, festive spirit, festivity, goddess durga, good health, guardian deity, gulal, jubilation, local boy, local poets, overwhelming majority, pranab mukherjee, villager, vote count, west bengal